Paph henryanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice, David. The first one you posted last year had a weak dorsal, but incredible spotting. These two are much better, with the last being very wow!

The last one is specialy beautiful.

David: I´ve always found henryanum extremely slow, even when they´re adult plants.
I´ve killed 3 henrys in 4 years. I´m unable to keep this species alive (and pretty much the same for my only tranlienianum, that is starting growing after having lost its roots in 2012) so... for me keeping a henry from flask to flowering size is a kind of magic. Congrats!

I know some of you will laugh at me for this (don´t worry, I do it!!) but... this is so far the most difficult species I have. :eek::eek:
I don´t know if it´s because of me (probably this is the main problem) or because of my growing conditions... but I´ve decided not to waste money, time and ilusion in this species any more (and that´s a pity because I like it a lot).

I still have 2 plants. Let´s see how many time I need to kill them too.

Thanks for sharing your successful story.

The last one is specialy beautiful.

David: I´ve always found henryanum extremely slow, even when they´re adult plants.
I´ve killed 3 henrys in 4 years. I´m unable to keep this species alive (and pretty much the same for my only tranlienianum, that is starting growing after having lost its roots in 2012) so... for me keeping a henry from flask to flowering size is a kind of magic. Congrats!

I know some of you will laugh at me for this (don´t worry, I do it!!) but... this is so far the most difficult species I have. :eek::eek:
I don´t know if it´s because of me (probably this is the main problem) or because of my growing conditions... but I´ve decided not to waste money, time and ilusion in this species any more (and that´s a pity because I like it a lot).

I still have 2 plants. Let´s see how many time I need to kill them too.

Thanks for sharing your successful story.

I'm not finding them that easy either Alberto. It has taken many years to flower these. My big concern with these, and my translienianums, is getting them to grow on after first flowering. The plants aren't strong and they are basically flowering on single growths. I seem to be really struggling to get them going again after they flower. The new growths can take a long time to commence, and when they do are very prone to rot. I do cut the flowers off straight away.

Here's hoping your two plants do better fo you. It is such a beautiful species to have in your collection.

My big concern with these, and my translienianums, is getting them to grow on after first flowering. The plants aren't strong and they are basically flowering on single growths. I seem to be really struggling to get them going again after they flower. The new growths can take a long time to commence, and when they do are very prone to rot.

I have exactly that problem. As soon as they flowering in the first blooming size growth...they start declining. If they send a new growth in the process I lose it (no matter I do). Last week I threw to the rubbish a flowered single growth plant that tried to send a new growth for the fourth time that rotted for the fourth time as well.

I don´t have this problem with helenae. They grow as slow as henry for me, but send lots of new growths that I´m able to keep alive without huge efforts. All they need is time and patience.

Thanks for your opinion David. Nice to see I´m not as bumpkin as I thought ;)

Latest posts

Back