Paph henryanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
This henryanum is the first non-Maudiae hybrid that I have flowered from flask. Six and a half years ago I ordered a few flasks (henryanum, fairieanum, helenae, translienianum and a Maudiae flask) from Taiwan. This is the first plant to flower from any of those flasks. Six and a half years and this is the fastest grower!!! I have a few others in bud from these flasks although I think this is the only henryanum that will flower this year. Given how much abuse they have received over the years it is a testament to how hardy they are that they have survived let alone flowered. The change in fertiliser over the last 2 years saw a dramatic improvement in these seedlings.

The last two photos are of another henrynum I have flowered a few times now. It is a much larger chunkier flower but not as nicely coloured as the first one.

Paph henryanum ‘Big Dorsal’ x sibling ‘Account Leopard’ BM TPS

That is a very nice looking henryanum, I really like the bold spotting of the dorsal and proximal part of the petals. 6 years,wow! The plants should be glad you never gave up on them. I have found that barbigerum/henrys/tranlienianum group do better as a clump out of flask. I plant these as the whole mass as it comes out of the flask into a compot. The two henrys which I posted a few weeks ago are flowering in that compot (2 years 2months after deflasking). Venustum on the other hand seem to do better individualy, and flower about 22months from flask.

Tremendous spotting, and a large dorsal. Looks a bit skinny first time around, but not bad at all. Your second, older one isn't bad either.

I plant these as the whole mass as it comes out of the flask into a compot. The two henrys which I posted a few weeks ago are flowering in that compot (2 years 2months after deflasking). Venustum on the other hand seem to do better individualy, and flower about 22months from flask.

That is amazing. I'm a long way from flowering things that quickly. I've learnt a lot along the way so I'm sure I'd flower them quicker today but I don't think that fast. I have a couple of anitum flasks on the way so I hope I can grow them quicker, otherwise I won't live to see them flower. :)

I think in future I will just grow them as a big compot for a couple of years.

David

My first couple of rounds of henry compots were extremely slow, and incurred high losses. I've been posting the trials of one compot with various schemes (like mycorrhizae additions) to grow for something like 6 or so years, and then low K turned them completely around. Most of the survivors went nuts and bloomed in the last 2 years.

About 2 years ago I received a new compot from OL that used one of my (now deceased) henry's for the pollen parent. I haven't lost any, they are growing like crazy, and some are already multigrowth blooming size plants. I should have blooming next fall (less than 3 years)!

It's very gratifying to raise these babies to bloom. These two are very pretty:clap:

I am very excited about this K-lite concept. For years now I have been unhappy with my fertilizing, but have not been able to pin point what was off. It all makes a lot of sense, thanks Rick, it would seem this is due to you. I dont have any flasks due at the moment, but am tempted to order just to gice it a try.
I have never tried anitum from flask, so dont know how they will respond (only because I have not found them offered in flask yet)

I'm not exactly sure how many henryanum seedlings I have left. I mixed these with the translienianum seedlings and I can't for the life of me tell them apart. I currently have three seedlings with buds that are totally different (pale colour) and I expect these will be translienianum. The plants look identical to the henryanum's. I will just have to flower them all out to identify them.

I have never tried anitum from flask, so dont know how they will respond (only because I have not found them offered in flask yet)

Just found out that the nursery I ordered the flasks through never got my order so I missed out on the anitum hybrid flasks. Oh well, maybe next time.

Back