Paph Hellas 'Sunset' HCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paph Hellas (Desdemona X Tania)(1940) is most well known for the famous 'Westonbirt' cultivar, which is still used in breeding, today. The 'Sunset' cultivar is an F2 generation Hellas. This is its first bloom in four years after nearly croaking on me.

PaphHellasSunset208.jpg

For comparison, Hellas 'Westonbirt'

PaphHellasWestonbirt2-1.jpg

Paph Hellas 'La Tierra Buena Sunset' (F3 generation)

PaphHellasLaTierraBuenaSunset-2.jpg

:clap:Love the comparisons! I'd have to lean towards that Sunset clone!
Beautiful pics!

Like the first two. Westonbirt is still valuable for breeding. For mine, the Sunset was one step too far.

There are better F3 cultivars than 'Tierra Buena Sunset'. Check Marriot Orchids website for the F3 cultivar, 'Golden Delight'. Hadley also did a better job of blooming 'Tierra Buena Sunset' than I.

Yep, had a look at them. Not bad at all. I worry though that this F2,3,4 etc can in build deformities and then can also have problems in the breeding with other Paphs, not to say they will but its a definite possibility.

Yep, had a look at them. Not bad at all. I worry though that this F2,3,4 etc can in build deformities and then can also have problems in the breeding with other Paphs, not to say they will but its a definite possibility.

Hadley Cash has used the F2 'Sunset' cultivar in a few crosses. I have also used 'Sunset' successfully making Paph Barb Hella (barbigerum x Hellas) and a remake of Paph Lunacy (Hellas x Skip Bartlett). Both produced good quantities of viable seed. The couple of Barb Hella's that have bloomed have been free of defects. The Lunacy's are still small seedlings, so we'll have to reserve judgment on them.

Latest posts

Back