Paph. helenae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lori.b

Reaction score
First bloom for this little sweetie. I've had it for four years and it struggled quite a bit in the beginning. I nearly tossed it but I'm so glad I didn't. It was worth the wait.

Attachments

• 33930A2D-77F8-4D33-ABAC-405DE0F0D08D.jpeg
    33930A2D-77F8-4D33-ABAC-405DE0F0D08D.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 626FAB47-03F1-41EF-A381-54CDDB95E748.jpeg
    626FAB47-03F1-41EF-A381-54CDDB95E748.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 21
the struggle is real! what did you change about the way you kept helenae? mine are alive, but would love to learn the secret to convincing them to bloom.
Honestly, I mostly just persevered. It was such a tiny little thing that barely took up any space at all and I didn't have the heart to throw it out. It had been growing in fir bark originally and I noticed once I switched it to Orchiata it began to grow better so maybe it was happier in the Orchiata. Other than that I keep it on the bottom shelf of the light stand right in the middle where it gets really good light.

I love these little guys. I keep mine the same, bottom shelf in the middle. It was a big lttle plant when I got it four years ago and had flowered numerous times. I was nervous about it, but it has proven to be a nice plant to handle so far.
Don

Great color on this one! I'm trying "benign neglect" with mine, perhaps if I ignore it for a while, it will finally do something. You've given me hope! Nice growing!

Thanks everyone. I'm liking this little cutie more and more each time I look at it. I think I will have to find a friend for it, perhaps an alba variety. "Benign neglect" seems to be the answer to getting it to bloom.

Back