Paph helenae 'Laci's Birthday' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,
That's a F2 cross between Rick( Tenn.) Lockwood's helenae and mine from 12 mos ago. I plan on cutting this week and sending it off.

Rick, Surely we'll get plants from this cross don't you think?
P.S. the green stuff growing behind the plant is a fern, just in case someone was wondering.

Thanks Rick. Yay! More helenaes!

There is No excuse these days for an AOS judge to not know that "teddy bear hug" petals are to be expected with helenae. So glad that they at least did their research and got themselves educated! But, how have they not noticed this already?:confused:

Thanks Rick. Yay! More helenaes!

There is No excuse these days for an AOS judge to not know that "teddy bear hug" petals are to be expected with helenae. So glad that they at least did their research and got themselves educated! But, how have they not noticed this already?:confused:

Not to make excuses for the judges but with only 7 awards in 7 years my group doesn't see helenae often. Of the 15 +/- judges in the HJC only a half of dozen attend the HOS meetings on a regular bases, which would see my plant or Jay's when we bring them in. Of course they judge local shows with in TX and LA but I don't think there are very many people blooming helenae in my area and hit a show at the right time either.
The last fact with the HJC, there is simple no Slipper Nuts in the bunch! There is only three members of the HOS that have large collections of slippers and none of us are judges.

Not to make excuses for the judges but with only 7 awards in 7 years my group doesn't see helenae often. Of the 15 +/- judges in the HJC only a half of dozen attend the HOS meetings on a regular bases, which would see my plant or Jay's when we bring them in. Of course they judge local shows with in TX and LA but I don't think there are very many people blooming helenae in my area and hit a show at the right time either.
The last fact with the HJC, there is simple no Slipper Nuts in the bunch! There is only three members of the HOS that have large collections of slippers and none of us are judges.

Are folks in TX/LA also big vanda nuts (like FL)?

Congratulations Rick. That is one of the best helenae clones I have seen. Absolutely divine. It fully deserves the AM award.

An all round bloom! Well balanced, great dorsal form and good petal presentation. Deserves an AM without any doubt!

By the way, could you show me some examples of the "mark sheet" that AOS is being used? I would like to see what criterion would be used to judge the plant and their rating ratios.

Latest posts

Back