Paph helenae crosspost from viet nam in situ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Critically Endangered seems a bit of a stretch. It doesn't seem to matter how many of these plants poachers collect there are always more, and it seems wider and wider spread than thought... But I think most of us have ample linebred plants now that there doesn't seem any reason for wild collections to be happening, in which case how are these critically endangered any more? Vulnerable, maybe. threatened, definately, but endangered seems a bit of a stretch.

Hmm, the post shows on my phone. Is it maybe you can see if you have Instagram?

There’s a link to see more on Instagram so it should be viewable. Maybe a different browser

Critically Endangered seems a bit of a stretch. It doesn't seem to matter how many of these plants poachers collect there are always more, and it seems wider and wider spread than thought... But I think most of us have ample linebred plants now that there doesn't seem any reason for wild collections to be happening, in which case how are these critically endangered any more? Vulnerable, maybe. threatened, definately, but endangered seems a bit of a stretch.
I think cites definition is regardless about plants growing in culture.If you see around the orchids world you can find some species exticted from nature. Of course and fortunately there is a good possibility to put them back into the wild as we see in case of cattleyas( eg. there was a period when amethystoglossa disappeared from nature but the recultivation saved this species in its habitat) .Unfortunately there is no culture of this in Asia , we only can hope that asian people will recognize importance of saving of species.

Last edited:
Back