Paph haynaldianum 'Rick's Best' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
A week ago yesterday 3/3 my haynaldianum received a 85pt AM. The judges commented if the second spike had been open it would of scored higher. They repeatedly kept calling this plant a monster. LOL
No awarded shots yet, you will just have to put up with mine šŸ˜ ( the first flower has already started to drop.)
20230311_164503.jpg20230311_164410.jpg
20230311_164102.jpg
20230304_140958.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations Rick. That is an incredible clone. Great growing to get 5 flowers. I find it frustrating when the flowering doesn't synchronise. What a great display. Love the softcane. Are most of the plants yours?

I really don't understand why having the second spike open would have resulted in higher points. We are talking about a quality award here not a cultural award? The only reason the second spike could increase the point score is if it has more flowers and/or the flowers were of better quality.

Last edited:
WOW, a bunch of gorgeous flowers, a well deserved award and great photos. šŸ‘Œ As to the photos, can't say which/who is mor photogenic .... the flowers or the grower.
I really don't understand why having the second spike open would have resulted in higher points. We are talking about a quality award here not a cultural award? The only reason the second spike could increase the point score is if it has more flowers and/or the flowers were of better quality.

These were exactly my thoughts, too.

Thank you everyone. I agree David, what the second open spike would of added is not understood. Psychological candy adding to the judges WOW factor about all I can think of. Which as you mentioned has nothing to do with flower quality.
I was surprised to see the second spike myself which appeared about 2 months after the first one. I really thought that growth was going to be next years blooming. It does have 2 more starts, one from each of blooming growths maybe it will break more later on this spring.
This is one of Sam's, Orchid Inn, earlier breeding of 'Orchid Inn' x 'Jeanie' and the NS is 17cm.
To answer your other question David, the salmon colored Cat over my left shoulder and the large white dendo are Holly's plants a friend in the society, all rest are mine.

In multi floral Paph judging we usually use the General Scale (as opposed to Paph scale aimed for 1-2 flowers) on the score sheet, which have 10 points for floriferousness. In this case, those points can push a higher score.

In multi floral Paph judging we usually use the General Scale (as opposed to Paph scale aimed for 1-2 flowers) on the score sheet, which have 10 points for floriferousness. In this case, those points can push a higher score.

Shouldn't floriferousness be scored more on flowers per spike than total number of flowers? A spike with five or six flowers is far more desirable than multiple spikes with two or three flowers each.

Good point, Tony!
Anyways, I eventually want a nice haynaldianum with a compact growing habit like this one and with a good flower count.
It seems like haynaldianum runs smaller than lowii in plant size?

A week ago yesterday 3/3 my haynaldianum received a 85pt AM. The judges commented if the second spike had been open it would of scored higher. They repeatedly kept calling this plant a monster. LOL
No awarded shots yet, you will just have to put up with mine šŸ˜ ( the first flower has already started to drop.)
View attachment 38972View attachment 38973
View attachment 38975
View attachment 38978
Congratulations! Itā€™s a beautiful plant. The second spike should get points for excitement-like more presents under the tree that havenā€™t been unwrapped yet.

What a beautiful haynaldianum! Congratulations on the award. It is clearly deserved. I think I have a sib of this clone but my flower count is much lower. Its good to see the potential.

Fantastic display also.

Your plant looks awesome to my eyesā€¦. Congrats on the award!

And the grex really looks to be nice. We had one at the Midatlantic judging center this past weekend. Also awarded in the high 80ā€™s. The flower I measured for the award sheet was 18.3 cm NS. The judging team measured a smaller flower else the award may have made an FCC.

Latest posts

Back