Paph haynaldianum 'Rick's Best' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
A week ago yesterday 3/3 my haynaldianum received a 85pt AM. The judges commented if the second spike had been open it would of scored higher. They repeatedly kept calling this plant a monster. LOL
No awarded shots yet, you will just have to put up with mine 😁 ( the first flower has already started to drop.)
20230311_164503.jpg20230311_164410.jpg
20230311_164102.jpg
20230304_140958.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations Rick. That is an incredible clone. Great growing to get 5 flowers. I find it frustrating when the flowering doesn't synchronise. What a great display. Love the softcane. Are most of the plants yours?

I really don't understand why having the second spike open would have resulted in higher points. We are talking about a quality award here not a cultural award? The only reason the second spike could increase the point score is if it has more flowers and/or the flowers were of better quality.

Last edited:
WOW, a bunch of gorgeous flowers, a well deserved award and great photos. 👌 As to the photos, can't say which/who is mor photogenic .... the flowers or the grower.
I really don't understand why having the second spike open would have resulted in higher points. We are talking about a quality award here not a cultural award? The only reason the second spike could increase the point score is if it has more flowers and/or the flowers were of better quality.

These were exactly my thoughts, too.

Thank you everyone. I agree David, what the second open spike would of added is not understood. Psychological candy adding to the judges WOW factor about all I can think of. Which as you mentioned has nothing to do with flower quality.
I was surprised to see the second spike myself which appeared about 2 months after the first one. I really thought that growth was going to be next years blooming. It does have 2 more starts, one from each of blooming growths maybe it will break more later on this spring.
This is one of Sam's, Orchid Inn, earlier breeding of 'Orchid Inn' x 'Jeanie' and the NS is 17cm.
To answer your other question David, the salmon colored Cat over my left shoulder and the large white dendo are Holly's plants a friend in the society, all rest are mine.

In multi floral Paph judging we usually use the General Scale (as opposed to Paph scale aimed for 1-2 flowers) on the score sheet, which have 10 points for floriferousness. In this case, those points can push a higher score.

In multi floral Paph judging we usually use the General Scale (as opposed to Paph scale aimed for 1-2 flowers) on the score sheet, which have 10 points for floriferousness. In this case, those points can push a higher score.

Shouldn't floriferousness be scored more on flowers per spike than total number of flowers? A spike with five or six flowers is far more desirable than multiple spikes with two or three flowers each.

Good point, Tony!
Anyways, I eventually want a nice haynaldianum with a compact growing habit like this one and with a good flower count.
It seems like haynaldianum runs smaller than lowii in plant size?

A week ago yesterday 3/3 my haynaldianum received a 85pt AM. The judges commented if the second spike had been open it would of scored higher. They repeatedly kept calling this plant a monster. LOL
No awarded shots yet, you will just have to put up with mine 😁 ( the first flower has already started to drop.)
View attachment 38972View attachment 38973
View attachment 38975
View attachment 38978
Congratulations! It’s a beautiful plant. The second spike should get points for excitement-like more presents under the tree that haven’t been unwrapped yet.

What a beautiful haynaldianum! Congratulations on the award. It is clearly deserved. I think I have a sib of this clone but my flower count is much lower. Its good to see the potential.

Fantastic display also.

Your plant looks awesome to my eyes…. Congrats on the award!

And the grex really looks to be nice. We had one at the Midatlantic judging center this past weekend. Also awarded in the high 80’s. The flower I measured for the award sheet was 18.3 cm NS. The judging team measured a smaller flower else the award may have made an FCC.

Back