Paph. haynaldianum "dark"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UweM

Reaction score
This plant was offered as haynaldianum "dark" presumable from the island of Minanao:

hayvar2.jpg

hayvar3.jpg

hayvar.jpg

The staminode says without any doubt P. haynaldianum. But shape and colouration of the rest of the bloom remind me more of P. lowii than of haynaldianum - strange, at least in my eyes.
I like it - nevertheless.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

The staminode says without any doubt P. haynaldianum. But shape and colouration of the rest of the bloom remind me more of P. lowii than of haynaldianum - strange, at least in my eyes.
I like it - nevertheless.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

indeed, and no spottings on the dorsal!? but very cool flowers!!! Jean

I like it - nevertheless.Best regards from Germany, rudolf
A rare new variety - haynaldianum var. lowii !

That is a very attractive flower. I would enjoy having blooms like that in my collection, nice growing and nice photos.

The dorsal says to me Paph lowii, the petals say haynaldianum, in many ways this flower looks like Paph Tony Semple (haynaldianum x lowii). I would check with your supplier. Unless he can show you a well documented provenance, that goes back to its source in the wild, I would doubt that this is really a species. My guess it is a hybrid, that either accidentally or possibly deliberately has been mis-identified as a species. It is possible the hoax was perpetrated by the source who supplied your supplier, so it may be that your supplier really believes this is haynaldianum.

Mix ups happen all the time with orchids. Lost tags, tags pulled out of pots by persons wanting to read the tags, then sticking the tag back in the wrong pot. (I have had more than one visitor do this to me),people not remembering correctly what their source told them about a plant's origin. A vendor, wanting to make the sale exaggerating or being less then clear about the origin of a plant. The end result is that it is sometimes well meaning people sell a plant with an incorrect name.

Perhaps Olaf Gruss would weigh in as to his thoughts about the identity of this orchid.

Commodity also our reaction, a mixture out lowii and haynaldianum…

The Staminodium of the hybrids Paph. Tony Semple however always shows toward lowii
However emerged this color variant of haynaldianum already several times with imported goods of the Philippines.

Also a demand with a connoisseur of Paphiopedilum on the Philippines came to the result: normal scattering range of haynaldianum

here a further descriptive color variant:

scanhayvar1.jpg

scanhayvar2.jpg

scanhayvar3.jpg

That is right. Nice one to have. Notice the first photo of the article is taken by me.

Ramon:)

My apologies, I learn new things every day. THank you for posting the article. Paph haynaldianum var. laurae seems a reasonable name for your plant. Very nice.

I've often thought that haynaldianum and richardianum are just varieties of the very widespread lowii concept. Lowii shows a lot of variation all by itself, so where do you draw the line. This may be a missing link in the continuum of a lowii-haynaldianum progression.

Awesome flower:clap::clap: Grow it huge!!

Paph. haynaldianum is a species by itself. It has an egg shaped staminode as compared to the flordelis staminode of Paph lowii. See pictures from Gore Orchid conservatory by Matthew, and me.

Ramon:)

Paph haynaldianum
Paph-haynaldianum3a.jpg

Paph. lowii
4040364231_9652a4d1e4_o.jpg

Don't forget that haynaldianum can bloom very dark under cooler temps....

Latest posts

Back