Paph Harold Koopowitz

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Reaction score
Having seen a lot of growers flowering P. HK and liking what I saw, I bought a dozen seedlings to flower for myself. Someone in a post with pic of HK suggested a possible flowering size of a plant. Here are the two biggest seedlings, leaf span 13 inches ( 34cm ) side shot and top. I have 4 others almost as big and the rest not far behind. Looking for an opinion if this is close to throughing a spike please.
DSCN0590.jpg

DSCN0594.jpg

DSCN0591.jpg

DSCN0593.jpg

Roy, you don't say which way the cross was made, or what the particular roth used was, both of which will certainly make a difference. Having said that, your plant is as big or bigger than most we've bloomed.

Bob, the cross was malipoense x roth. The roth' is a plant thats been used by the hybridist for decades and is known only by his own clonal name. I don't know what strain of roth it is, sorry. The other crosses he has made with it have flowered very well and produced some awarded clones. I observed out of the 12 seedlings, 7 have a distinct leaf shape like malipoense ie broad & wavey, the others tend to be slightly narrower and flatter toward the roth??, that may change as they grow, not sure there.

I've got some from an Antec compot that are probably a smidge smaller than the ones you've photographed Roy. I've been wondering if they were near b.s. The bases do feel very hard and thick, so I'm hoping they're contemplating throwing up some spikes soon. Then again they may decide to throw up another growth.

I've got some from an Antec compot that are probably a smidge smaller than the ones you've photographed Roy. I've been wondering if they were near b.s. The bases do feel very hard and thick, so I'm hoping they're contemplating throwing up some spikes soon. Then again they may decide to throw up another growth.

Candace, from what Bob has said I'm hopeful that atleast 2 or more of them will flower this year and you should be close with yours given Bob's comments.
Hey, a new HK thread,

My question is; do HK's bloom on single growths? I've seen 5 and they all had new starts, 1 or 2, with the blooming growth. They were all from the same cross. Their leaf span was 16 to 18 inches or more.

My question is; do HK's bloom on single growths? I've seen 5 and they all had new starts, 1 or 2, with the blooming growth. They were all from the same cross. Their leaf span was 16 to 18 inches or more.

Just judging from Bob ( Antec Labs ) they must be able to flower off single growths BUT as Bob said, its going to depend on the flowering qualities of the parents.

A question for Bob, did / do your HK seedlings exhibit the variations in the leaves ie like malipoense leaves or flattish and smooth like the roth and if so was there a difference and in what way in the flowers....size, petal shape and width, color etc please.

Latest posts

Back