Paph. Hanoi Fairy

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the nicer crosses of rung
Hear hear! Actually, the first I've seen, where I liked the outcome! 🥰
Insane that rungsuriyianum hybrids are just fine to pass around but we can’t have the species.
I wouldn't be too certain of that?! Until recently, when my orchid society had a speaker from the department in the Danish ministry for agriculture and food, that enforces CITES-regulations, I was under the naive assumption, that all hybrids grown from seed in a nursery were exempt. I learned, though, that this seems to be the case for only a very few hybrids - and any hybrid with rungsuriyianum did certainly not figur on that list. I think, though, that EU-citizens would be scotchfree buying such plants within the EU.

might be too late... but incharm had flasks of rung's on his pre-order list.... if i was travelling i would have ordered one...

might be too late... but incharm had flasks of rung's on his pre-order list.... if i was travelling i would have ordered one...
I truly appreciate it but I won’t intentionally break CITES. It should be allowed from seed-grown plants. All orchids should. I think everyone in here agrees on that. It’s just frustrating and ultimately detrimental to conservation.

Hear hear! Actually, the first I've seen, where I liked the outcome! 🥰

I wouldn't be too certain of that?! Until recently, when my orchid society had a speaker from the department in the Danish ministry for agriculture and food, that enforces CITES-regulations, I was under the naive assumption, that all hybrids grown from seed in a nursery were exempt. I learned, though, that this seems to be the case for only a very few hybrids - and any hybrid with rungsuriyianum did certainly not figur on that list. I think, though, that EU-citizens would be scotchfree buying such plants within the EU.
I’m just purely envious because I don’t want a hybrid, really, of anything. I want to wake up in my Chicago apartment and, through successful husbandry, behold the small splendor of a plant as it would appear in some far-off jungle where I will never go. I want to be a part of maintaining a collection of plants from which I can dare to hope someday that rare plants can be repopulated into that jungle. This is my orchid fantasy. Or delusion; call it what you will. The hybrid in this thread is very pretty and all I see is red that I can’t grow the original. And it would be different if NO ONE was growing it but we’ve all seen them all over. I even ordered one once off eBay, stupidly assuming it was legal; got swindled, took a year to get my money back. I just hope someone is making plentiful flasks of these, somewhere, for someday when the powers that be come to their senses.

Do you want to get on the US F&W watch list too!?
I suppose there are 2 things going on in my head that spewed out in that note.

From what I have seen of the inbound manifests, flasks end up getting listed as ‘paph seedlings’.

And second, based on conversation with an inspector (yes I would agree that the conversation is inspector specific, and may even be emotional state driven ;-) ) the expectation that private growers are supposed to worry about the provenance of plants purchased at reputable venues (e.g. Tamiami) is not reasonable.

Offering that up as a state of mind, however inaccurate or naive it may be. Not looking for or posing an argument.

:).

Happy new year!!!

Latest posts

Back