Paph. hangianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lori.b

Reaction score
Back in bloom for the third time. First bloom was September, 2019, second bloom was September 2021 so it's picked up the pace a little for this year. The bloom about 14 cm wide now, very fragrant, and I've included a picture of Paph thaianum with it for size reference.

Attachments

• 2C783D40-AC84-4CAE-AF3D-2DAF4D498D55.jpeg
    2C783D40-AC84-4CAE-AF3D-2DAF4D498D55.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • AC7917B7-AB01-4C73-A11A-AC3AE75F5FE8.jpeg
    AC7917B7-AB01-4C73-A11A-AC3AE75F5FE8.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 1
  • BCB1AA9D-BA10-49A8-91C4-8C965F26131E.jpeg
    BCB1AA9D-BA10-49A8-91C4-8C965F26131E.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 3
Back in bloom for the third time. First bloom was September, 2019, second bloom was September 2021 so it's picked up the pace a little for this year. The bloom about 14 cm wide now, very fragrant, and I've included a picture of Paph thaianum with it for size reference.
Wow, the thaianum is so tiny in comparison!

Lori, very pretty P. hangianum ....... and P. thaianum, too. 👍 Your culture seems to be appropriate if there is the result to see a flower of your P. hangianum every two years.

Lori, very pretty P. hangianum ....... and P. thaianum, too. 👍 Your culture seems to be appropriate if there is the result to see a flower of your P. hangianum every two years.
Thank you. I followed the golden rule and didn't move it from its spot on the light stand the first time it bloomed, lol. In addition to that it seems quite happy growing in a plastic net pot in a combination of Orchiata, perlite, pumice and charcoal.

That's a big MaMa! Good culture too as Rudolf pointed out.

Wish mine bloomed as often as yours too! :(
It took a while to get established. I got it as a seedling in 2013 and it did the tour of the plant room until I found a spot where it was happy. Then I left it alone.

Excellent culture.
I don’t think mine will rebloom next year. That’s pretty impressive!
Thank you. Maybe it'll surprise you. When I took mine for judging on its first bloom one of the judges said I wouldn't see it bloom again for five years. That was nearly four years ago :)

That judges’ comment was perhaps born out of pure jealousy. They probably tried to grow it, likely more then once, and quite possibly killed them OR failed to bloom it.
Try not to take it to heart.
People still try to pump up their own failures by bringing others down!

I hope it was an innocent comment based on their own frustration. Don’t let it keep you from attending. The Judging Chair should take that judge aside if that type of stuff goes on in their center. It should be addressed by a phone call. If that stuff continues, that judge could be given a time out so to speak.
Well anyway, that’s what I would do.

That judges’ comment was perhaps born out of pure jealousy. They probably tried to grow it, likely more then once, and quite possibly killed them OR failed to bloom it.
Try not to take it to heart.
People still try to pump up their own failures by bringing others down!

I hope it was an innocent comment based on their own frustration. Don’t let it keep you from attending. The Judging Chair should take that judge aside if that type of stuff goes on in their center. It should be addressed by a phone call. If that stuff continues, that judge could be given a time out so to speak.
Well anyway, that’s what I would do.
I don't think her comment was ill intentioned to be honest and I should have told the whole story behind it as I didn't realize how careful judges should be with their comments and I don't want to throw anyone under the bus. The judging team awarded my hangianum an AM and that judge offered to take my picture holding the plant and the award, which I happily accepted. That was when she said, smiling, "you probably won't see it bloom for another five years". I think (hope anyway) it was said in a joking manner. But I appreciate your comments and will certainly keep them at the back of my mind if anything unpleasant ever goes on at a judging session. I was the judges' runner at our show a couple weeks ago and the Judging Chair said to me that he feels we have a good team here and everyone works well together......lucky us!

Latest posts

Back