Paph. hangianum 'First Class Charlie'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
Nearly lost this plant a few years ago. Put it into a 6" hanging basket a couple years ago and it perked right up!

Paph.%20hangianum%20'First%20Class%20Charlie'lft.JPG

Paph.%20hangianum%20'First%20Class%20Charlie'rt.JPG

Paph.%20hangianum%20'First%20Class%20Charlie'ftdn.JPG

Paph.%20hangianum%20'First%20Class%20Charlie'%20ftup.JPG

perfect flower, what is the measurement of this flower & the leaf span ?
just as David mentioned the plant size is quite compact in comparison to the large flower.
I notice the same phenomenon in some large leaves hangianum having small flowers , while small plants have large flowers, seems this species's plant size does not always reflect the flower potential size

Stunning.

Any special cultural considerations (other than the net pot)? Does it need cool nights or extra light to bloom?

I have it hanging at about eye level down at the cool end of the greenhouse, on the sunny side. So, yes, it does seem to like cooler and brighter conditions. I try to water it just a day or so before it goes completely dry. I don't wait for the weeds in the pot to wilt! Other than that, what it needs is time. This species is a SLOW grower; but, if the culture is consistently good, these plants keep building on the gains they make each year and eventually they do reach BS. I suspect that once it gets up to be 3 or 4 growth, it will grow faster. A lot of Paphs are like that....very slow to reach maturity; but, pretty fast to increase once they finally get to be a decent size with multiple growths.

I'll take measurements today and get back to you.

Yes. Deliciously fragrant!

Last edited:
have you noticed when the mature plant pushes some new growths? Mine bloomed in late February and it still hasn't make a new start. I,m getting stressed and thinking that I probably shouldn't have let it bloom in the first place..

There is already a new start coming up now. It showed up at about the same time that the flowering sheath poked up. Yes, I'd be concerned for your plant. Just try to keep it happy and not stressed while you wait to see a new growth. Perhaps give it a bit of extra 10-52-10, which helps jolt a plant into growth. That's why it's used as a transplant fertilizer....it jolts the newly repotted plants to send out a surge of roots. I also use it to help plants send out a surge of new growth. Use the 10-52-10 a couple times and then switch to a high Nitrogen for the next couple times. Then keep repeating the cycle until you see the new growth finally coming up.

I do have a 10-52-10 fert. that I use in spring when my plants start to show signs that the growing "season" has started for them in my basement :) Haven't used it on my hangianum, though. I was too afraid to shock it. I'm more confident now. Thanks for the tip, John. :)

Giving it a little shock is just what it needs right now to spark a new growth to begin. Just use a weak solution, as you would normally; but, using it while alternating with a nigh Nitrogen feed is exactly what it needs right now.

Latest posts

Back