Paph. Hamana Med x Jollix Land ..... GREEN!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
I bought this over a year ago in bud. Loved it! This year, it's only got 5 growths and 3 are in bloom. I crossed this plant today with pollen from my barbigerum v. album 'Albino Beauty' AM/AOS in an attempt to produce easy growing/blooming very compact plants with relatively BIG Green flowers!

DSC06591-2%20Paph.%20Hamana%20Med%20x%20Jollix%20Land%20ft.JPG

DSC06604-2%20Paph.%20Hamana%20Med%20x%20Jollix%20Land%20lt.JPG

DSC06605-2%20Paph.%20Hamana%20Med%20x%20Jollix%20Land%20rt.JPG

DSC06609-2%20Paph.%20Hamana%20Med%20x%20Jollix%20Land%20rtrt.JPG

Thanks. I know what you mean. I have consistently disliked most complex Paphs for decades. However, I have thought better of the whites and concolor yellows and greens. I haven't owned a complex Paph for many, many years; but, last year, I saw this one in a garden centre with a fat bud just beginning to open. When I looked inside the slightly open flower, I could see it had no warts, or hairs, etc., etc. I bought it and when it fully opened, I was really pleased I'd picked it up. It was just one old tired growth with one young growth in bud. After blooming, the old growth began to die off. So, I repotted this plant into a 6" net pot and hung it up at the cold end of my greenhouse. It LOVED this and put on many new growths at once. I was really surprised to see how many growths had matured and were going to bloom this fall. 'Can't wait to see what it does in a couple years!

Lovley I love and hate complex paphs yet I seem to have quite a few, this a very nice one.

Short stems but wonderful flowers!
By the way, this cross is registered as Cocoa Jollix Med.

Thanks for the name. I checked the RHS; but, I had the seed parent and pollen parent names switched around. So, it said no registration was found. Odd, since regardless of which was the pollen parent and which was the seed parent, the two parents are the same and the hybrid name is valid for either way the cross was made.

BTW: Now that you mention it, yes, the stems are a bit short, I guess. I happen to like that. I'm not really much of a fan for the very tall stems on Paphs. However, of course, when a plant becomes a specimen plant with many flowers, taller stems will allow the flowers to be presented nicely without overcrowding. Perhaps the cross with barbigerum will lengthen the stems a little bit, relatively speaking?

John, you really got lucky with that plant! I love your idea of crossing it with your little P. barbigerum album! I'm looking forward to seeing the results in a few years!

The outcome definitely something interesting all the best.

Back