Paph. gratrixianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know much about paphs at this point, but after looking at some of the Paph villosum photos, I'd agree it falls within the variations I saw for that species. Does Paph. villosum also have the tiny dark spots at the base of the leaves? This one has plenty of those.

-edit - just checked on orchidspecies.com, and the description of Paph. villosum does indicate it has small purple spots at the base of the leaves. The also had a photo of one that looked pretty much like mine. The blooming time is consistent with the description, too.

I have another one from the same seller that is now putting up a bud. If both are not what they were sold as, I need to tell the seller and see what they make of it. I'll still keep them, but a discount in the future would be nice, plus they need to address this to their supplier, too.

Last edited:
I think this falls within the natural variation of the species. The staminode and flower form, plus blooming period all fall within the boundaries of the gratrixianum. Do note that their are many subspecies of gratrixianum that has been separated by different taxonomists. Tomorrow this might be something else of the villosum complex. :)

Latest posts

Back