Paph. gratrixianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UweM

Reaction score
Hello,

what is that - I bought it at gratrixianum???

neu1.jpg

neu2.jpg

neu3.jpg

the left flower is from gratrixianum var. daoense, the smaller one from the ???

neu4.jpg

Uwe

May want to dig up the thread on the "true" gratrixianum from a couple of weeks ago.

That flower is reminiscent of the "wide-leaf" version of the species.

otherwise to me it looks like a exul - villosum hybrid.

:clap: It's so darn cuuute!:clap:
My first guess is exul. What size pot is it in? My exul has no spotting at the base of the leaves & the plant habit is thinner leaves & more upright. I just bought a gratrixianum that has gorgeous spotting at the base as your plant has.

Exul came to my mind too!!! Maybe a hybrid!!!!!! It is great whatever it is!!

I get the plant from an orchidfriend who reduce his collection. He remember, that this plant was possibly from India.
Perhaps it is insigne variation or an naturehybrid with gratrixianum/villosum?

I have seen such plants a couple years ago in Burma, to me they are in the insigne group... Exul would have a completely different looking plant as well, with stiff green leaves, and no dots at the base.

I have seen such plants a couple years ago in Burma, to me they are in the insigne group... Exul would have a completely different looking plant as well, with stiff green leaves, and no dots at the base.

Agreed. A straight exul has no spotting at all on the leaves.

If you dig out the Orchid Digest with the article on the "wide leaf" gratrixianum you will see pics of a plant with lots of purple spotting (spots partially fused), and the spotting on the dorsal sepal is set on a green field like this flower. Christenson's plant reportedly came from Laos.

I found Christenson's OD article on the "Rediscovery of Paph gratrixianum" (OD 68 (3) 2004)

Latest posts

Back