Paph gratrixianum or....?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that it is in the gratrixianum family, but based on the dorsal features (red spots and linear bands) as well as the narrow spotted leaves, it would be Paph. christensonianum (used to be a variety of gratrixianum). Refer to Orchid Digest annotations by Koopowitxz (Isuue 82-4, page 191) Oct/Nov/Dec 2018.

According to Kew they accept christensonianum as a variety of gratrixianum, but not at species level...
I think, it could be debatable under botanists whether the differrences between the typical variety and var. christensonianum are sufficient enough to warrant an independent taxonomic status...along the wellknown positions in the eternal trench warfare between taxonomic 'spreaders' and 'gatheres'!

Jens. you are indeed correct that it is a variety of gratrixianum on Kew WCSP. Since Harold just proposed it to a species ranking in the OD in 2018, it might be elevated in a couple years.

Mmmhhhh I think leaves are influenced at least somewhath by culture and dorsal pattern is a bit variable but i will follow the issue with interest as I have a few of these

A little late to this. As I understand it, the narrower more upright leaved plants are Paph gratrixianum var christensonianum or Paph christensonianum whether you want to go with Kew or Koopowitz. Same plant. For me it blooms Dec-Feb. I also have a much wider leaved rangy grower which is the originally described Paph gratrixianum (var gratrixianum) that was "lost". Both of these are from southern Laos although from different habitats. The Vietnamese Paph gratrixianum is var. daoense which has wider leaves and less upright leaves than christensonianum. Presumably it also is more temperature tolerant in winter as well. Paph gratrixianum var gratrixianum is more of a spring bloomer for me.

the Thai growers devide into different varieties ........................but there are grenhouses full of different ones......

enjoy the nice flower !

Latest posts

Back