Paph gratrixianum Geyserland AM/AOC and Ratcliffe AM/AOC

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Both are currently in flower. Both clones have been awarded an AM, although Geyserland is the superior clone. Ratcliffe is a more vigorous clone that clumps better although I am disappointed with the flower count I have been getting in recent years.

Paph gratrixianum 'Geyserland' AM/AOC

Gratrixianum%202021.jpg

gratrixianum%202019%202.jpg

Paph gratrixianum 'Ratcliffe' AM/AOC

Gratrixianum%20ratcliffe%202021%202.jpg

Gratrixianum%20ratcliffe%202021.jpg

Last edited:
David, both are lovely and so well grown. Congrats đź‘Ś

If 'Geyserland' is the first one you are right its shape is the better one...but maybe it depends to the close-up photo.....the colouration of 'Ratcliff' seems to be more intense to me.

holy crap that first plant is awesome (Geyserland?).... (both are nice but holy crap....) Were you ever at any events to see Sam Tsui when he travelled down under? (looking for a way to get a division into the US ;-) )

is that stem length for gratrixianum at all typical?

David, both are lovely and so well grown. Congrats đź‘Ś

If 'Geyserland' is the first one you are right its shape is the better one...but maybe it depends to the close-up photo.....the colouration of 'Ratcliff' seems to be more intense to me.

Yes, 'Geyserland' is the first two photos. I have now labelled them as I should have done to begin with. :)

I think the purple flushing on the 'Geyserland' clone is actually better. It certainly displays better partly due to the flatter dorsal.

holy crap that first plant is awesome (Geyserland?).... (both are nice but holy crap....) Were you ever at any events to see Sam Tsui when he travelled down under? (looking for a way to get a division into the US ;-) )

is that stem length for gratrixianum at all typical?

Yes, the best feature about the 'Geyserland' clone is the towering spikes. In fact, I don't think the first photo does the plant justice. The spikes are taller than the photo suggests. The spikes can get taller than 50 cm. I think this would be taller than most clones and not typical. It is an outstanding clone that I believe originated from New Zealand. This clone seems to be widely distributed. Here it is from a show in Japan. The flowers look identical to mine but interestingly the spikes are not as tall. Culture differences maybe.

PaphGratrixianumGeyserland.jpg

I actually selfed my plant a few years ago. I have so many seedlings at the moment. Actually sold a dozen to a orchid society recently. But plenty more I need to get rid of.

Sam actually gave a talk at our local society quite a few years back. We are only a small society so it was exciting that he came.

Latest posts

Back