Paph Grassauer Schneetreiben (tonsum x Greyi)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
Don't ask me to pronounce the name and maybe this is one of those crosses that should have never happened! Suprise, there are no awards listed for this cross. I picked up two of these, so maybe the other one won't make my retinas detach when it blooms...malformed pouch, wonky petals, not my cup of tea.
Grassauer.jpg

Ya know, I don't have the pleasure/misfortune of seeing it in 3-D, but if the pouch wasn't so gross and the dorsal a little less forlorn looking it really wouldn't be that bad. The colors and spotting are really very nice, and the petal shape/stance not Bad - don't feed it to the dumpster yet! :)

As Gilda said, "We love all our "chids"..even the wonky ones!"

She's right -- there is always something endearing -- the color. The staminode!

It's certainly better than what I thought upon seeing the parentage!
I like that the spots carry to the inside of the pouch & the outside is a solid color.
..... maybe it needs more slipper friends, one could go a little crazy in a catthouse!

Is it a first bloom seedling?
This is its second bloom, but I bought it from the Paph House sale so didn't see it the first time around. I wouldn't know if this is an improvement or worse! The second plant I've got was in bud and the rat bastards ate it. But if it blooms like this again next year it won't be lingering. Guess it will be living at Ed's house.;)

Don't ask me to pronounce the name..
Hello Candace,
Grassau is a village/small town in the German Alps in Upper Bavaria close to the village Unterwössen where the nursery of Franz Glanz (the breeder) is located. And 'Schneetreiben' means driving or blowing snow.
...and maybe this is one of those crosses that should have never happened!
I agree - not all crosses achieve an improvement compared with the parent plants. As we all know not all flowers look in the same way even at one plant so there is still hope that the next flower will be a better one.
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

I think it has redeeming features ... I really like the petal stance. If the pouch wonkiness is genetic then I would be tempted to throw it. As I'm the curious and stubbornly naive type I would be most interested in what a selfing of this would produce ... if it is not sterile of course. I wonder whether hybrids that frequently produce deformed flowers result from an inbalance in the genes that regulate flower development and the timing of events in this process. But then again ... my curiousity would be better served by crossing it to sangii ... for example !! It is fortunate indeed for the paphiophile world that I don't have the facilities to breed paphs !!!
Cheers,
Tim

Grassau is a village/small town in the German Alps in Upper Bavaria close to the village Unterwössen where the nursery of Franz Glanz (the breeder) is located. And 'Schneetreiben' means driving or blowing snow.

Very interesting, thanks.

Hello Candace,
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

Very interesting, thanks.

So appropriately named! Thanks for the translation!

Latest posts

Back