Paph. godefroyae var. leucochilum 'Maybrook', AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is another photo Dick Hanson sent me this morning along with the Paph. niveum var. ang thong ‘Maybrook’, AM/AOS photo shown in another thread.

As I mentioned in the other thread, Dick grows his brachypetalums in a specially constructed “case” in his greenhouse with interior lateral air flow from small muffin fans and auxiliary overhead fluorescent lighting. The old shop light fluorescents were changed out last Winter and replaced with T-5 fluorescents at 6500K. The results this year have been amazing with all his brachys producing multiple flowers with beautiful form and color.

godefroyae_MB.jpg

In terms of form and color, I think this cultivar holds up well against some of the line-bred superstars we’ve seen presented in recent years. It blooms every year as a TRUE "leucochilum" with virtually no color on the pouch. At only 8.2cm natural spread, it does fall short of its contemporary relatives, however.

This is another plant that belonged to G.A. (Bert) Wright. Paph. godefroyae var. leucochilum ‘Maybrook’, AM/AOS was in Bert Wright’s collection for many years before he presented it for judging in 1980 and received the 82pt AM/AOS.

I thought it was interesting to find an entry in Bert’s old paph stud book for November 14, 1971:

#665 – (godefroyae ‘Leucochilum’ [sic] x F.C. Puddle)

Bert later registered this hybrid to be named for his son-in-law, Skip Bartlett. So the possibility exists that this cultivar was used as the seed parent to create the original grex of Paph. Skip Bartlett.

Last edited:
Beautiful! Is it my imagination or is there a little bit of cream/yellow color in teh center of the dorsal? (Either way I like the effect!)

Actually what amazes me the most, besides the great flower, is that this plant is still alive! In general brachy's are pretty short lived, and it sounds like this plant has been around since the early 70's!

Robert

Actually what amazes me the most, besides the great flower, is that this plant is still alive! In general brachy's are pretty short lived, and it sounds like this plant has been around since the early 70's!

Robert
Oooooooooo -- don't jinx him!

Gorgeous flower.

Robert

I really think the brachys are just as open ended on their life spans as any Paph Maudiae or even a Bristlecone Pine, it is just us humans who fall down on the job as far as giving them what they need, consistiently, year after year. I agree that brachys are difficult to maintain, they are more demanding in their needs, but if met, they in theory could "live forever" in that the life span is not limited. I certainly have only a few brachys that have hung around for more than 10 years. Actually, I kept a bellatulum going 15 years before it died of root rot. I have a concolor that is coming up on 20 years in the collection. I have trouble with niveum, godefroyae & leucochilum, I grow too cool for their long term health.

These two photos are a tribute to both Bert Wright & Dick Hanson and any owners of the plants in between for being the "constant gardeners" and giving these plants the care they need.

Back