Paph. godefroyae var. ang-thong

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am helping write an article on orchids names for the Orchidophiles de Montreal newletter. One of our goal is to explain the difference between forma and var. . We choose Paph. godefroyae var. ang-thong as an example of variety.

But I am not really sure what are the differences between a true godefroyae and godefroyae var. ang-thong, at least for a botanist.
Can anyone help?

Lise

Im no botanist and I think we use the terms loosely.

As examples insigne - alboviride, sanderae vs Harefield Hall
or maybe micranthum alba, eburneum.

I was looking for Braems book and cant find it - it might answer the question.

According to Braem's latest book, the entity ang-thong has been proven to be a natural hybrid of Paph. godefroyae and Paph. niveum, so the correct name than would be Paphiopedilum ×ang-thong.

P.S.
Harefield Hall is the name of a clone of insigne not a var. or f.

Last edited:
Paph. godefroyae originates from the Bird's Nest Islands off the coast of Chumphon in the Gulf of Siam. P. niveum comes from the other side of the Tenasserim Range so there is zero possibility of a hybrid between the two species from ever occurring.

"Koh Ang Thong" is an important island (especially to travelers) within the gulf and has been often cited as a locus for centuries, more recently by orchid hunters. That citation has been used by modern orchid sellers and thence named as a new species Paphiopedilum by resourceful people such as Ray Rands.

The species is variable within its range however the differences between it and with P. leucochilum cannot be mistaken, even though they consistently are by uninformed individuals.

Paph. godefroyae originates from the Bird's Nest Islands off the coast of Chumphon in the Gulf of Siam. P. niveum comes from the other side of the Tenasserim Range so there is zero possibility of a hybrid between the two species from ever occurring.

"Koh Ang Thong" is an important island (especially to travelers) within the gulf and has been often cited as a locus for centuries, more recently by orchid hunters. That citation has been used by modern orchid sellers and thence named as a new species Paphiopedilum by resourceful people such as Ray Rands.

The species is variable within its range however the differences between it and with P. leucochilum cannot be mistaken, even though they consistently are by uninformed individuals.

Thanks Lance may be you could help Lise with her taxonomic question and give her suitable examples?

As I understand it, fma should precede things like different colours eg alba, coerulea, lutea. Variety should precede features like consistently different morphology eg latifolium, brevipetalum etc. It can get a bit confusing because a lack of anthocyanin in the concolor leaves is used to determine a variety ie: chlorophyllum. You can pretty much bet that most varieties are not botanical but cultivars or selections of different forms. A botanist would explain it better I'm sure but even they make mistakes as Lance points out.

Latest posts

Back