Paph. godefroyae var. ang-thong?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mocchaccino

Biomedical Scientist
Reaction score
Hi guys,

When I looked over my records of bloom, I found that I once had a question on the identity of one Paph in my collection.

This one was unnamed in an orchid shop. The owner sold it a couple of months ago in this shop but I was unable to find him. (The owner is not part of the shop but the supplier instead).

I know it would be difficult to guess as there are both a possibility of being a hybrid and a species. However can anyone suggest its possible identity?

For me, I assumed it was a species or varieties. As the flower stem was almost 8-10 cm, I suspected it as ang-thong and named that in the photo.

Moccha

Whole plant
angthongsuspected28june.jpg

By mocchacino at 2011-09-21

Leaves (measure 5 - 7 cm length ; 1 - 1.5 cm wide)
14august2011statusrepor.jpg

By mocchacino at 2011-09-21

Flower (NS: around 7 - 8 cm)
angthong1.jpg

By mocchacino at 2011-09-16

Nice flower, quite flat but not round enough. IMHO the leaves look a lot like some niveum. I suspect it as a hybrid..

Thanks. I agree it was not round enough and some petals seemed to curve back. The way I bought it was because the flower was quite large. But now I am kind of regretted of having it in the first place. :p

Something's telling me hybrid as well.
Depends on what you want/wanted as far as it's a keeper, certainly nice enough to find a home for!

You know I really like it when I hear someone say a plant is a keeper when there is not sure name on it.. To many of us get caught up in the name game with orchids.

Mocchanino, you have a lovely plant and I would keep it too.

Brett

Thanks. I agree it was not round enough and some petals seemed to curve back. The way I bought it was because the flower was quite large. But now I am kind of regretted of having it in the first place. :p

If you regret, send it to me! :p I would keep it too. Large flower on a compact plant.. Would make a show when grown into a clump with several spikes.

Something's telling me hybrid as well.
Depends on what you want/wanted as far as it's a keeper, certainly nice enough to find a home for!

You know I really like it when I hear someone say a plant is a keeper when there is not sure name on it.. To many of us get caught up in the name game with orchids.

Mocchanino, you have a lovely plant and I would keep it too.

Brett

If you regret, send it to me! :p I would keep it too. Large flower on a compact plant.. Would make a show when grown into a clump with several spikes.

Very nice bloom! Not an ang thong, though.

Nice hybrid

Thanks all. Glad to know it has a high probability of being a hybrid but this is also what I fear. I'm quite a demanding orchid grower and usually only cultivate species. However, I would still try to be a keeper of it :]

Back