Paph. godefroyae alba seedling decided to bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samhayn

Reaction score
Hello guys, I've been reading this awesome forum for a while and now decided to create my first post and here is a reason. In April 2017 I bought a seedling of Paphiopedilum godefroyae album from Asendorfer Orchideenzucht and now it decided to develop a spike. I'd be happiest person in the world if my plant was a little bit bigger or instead of the spike produced another growth. Since it's in the 7cm pot I want to ask your opinion. Should I let it bloom or cut off the spike? My concerns are related to a quite common issue of plants going into decline when they bloom from the single growth.

o4YQ_AsKiV8.jpg

qsiXlnwHxUA.jpg

Thank you all for your opinions!
Vlad.

We've bloomed a few of these off single growths and never had a problem. I just wouldn't use the plant as the capsule parent if you're going to use it for breeding. Typically, the new growth will be visible within 4-6 weeks after blooming.

I would say if you can see active root tips through the clear pot let it bloom, if you can't see active roots, I would cut the spike

Thank you guys for your messages, I also wrote to Hilmar (owner of Asendorfer), he answered that he has a couple of plants which decided to bloom and suggests to keep the spike. I took a look at the root system of my plant and it looks ok. Not the full pot of roots, but kinda enough if I keep in mind it's a paphiopedilum.

I'll keep you guys updated, if it starts to drop the leaves I'd cut the spike for sure.
Otherwise I will come back with some photos.

Latest posts

Back