Paph. glaucophyllum var.moquettianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

heliomum

Whenever I go to an orchid show, I see Paph. glaucophyllum var.moquettianum advertised as blooming "every 5 weeks." Is this true and if so, does it wear out the plant?:confused:

BTW. P. moquetteanum is a stand alone species now. No longer attached to glaucophyllum, provided that its actually P. moquetteanum. There are many false ones around.

Yes, despite how similar they look, the chromosome count is different between the two forms.

I have had this species and primulinum blooming for almost 3 years straight on multigrowth plants with a new flower about once a month.

I have a Paph chamberlainianum (incorrectly called victoria-regina by Cribb et al) that has been blooming 7 years on the same flower stem, flower number over 20 now and still going. The group is a great group of species. The only danger is getting bored with the flowers.
Leo

Whenever I go to an orchid show, I see Paph. glaucophyllum var.moquettianum advertised as blooming "every 5 weeks." Is this true and if so, does it wear out the plant?:confused:
I read that to mean this species is a sequential bloomer, with a new flower opening (on the same inflorescence) about every 5 weeks. The older flower(s) would soon drop if they haven't already.

I have a Paph chamberlainianum (incorrectly called victoria-regina by Cribb et al) that has been blooming 7 years on the same flower stem, flower number over 20 now and still going. The group is a great group of species. The only danger is getting bored with the flowers.
Leo

WOW! 7 years??? that's unheard of!

Leo

Wow Leo!

That averages over 18 weeks per flower. There must have been some big gaps between open flowers on that spike. I've seen a bit of that on my moquetianum where a spike doesn't die, and it just sits there for a month doing nothing before the next bud wakes up and blooms.

Back