Paph glandiferum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYEric

Reaction score
P5140853.jpg

Eric, lovely color in the flowers. They look very similar if not identical to the ????? separated species 'wilhelminiae' which has been very popular in breeding and registrations. Depending on the size of the flowers it could be 'gardineri' also. I "think" the wilhelminiae is a small flower compared to the type species, P.glanduliferum or more properly, P.praestans. I love it, I wish I had a piece in flower. Well done.

It's a bit dangerous to work from photos of one angle, but it certainly does appear to have some Paph. wilhelminiae influence. Unfortunately, unless you have plants that go back pre CITES or have bred your own, its going to be tough to know if you have the real thing (of either species) or a hybrid. We are fortunate to have examples of both that have been in our possession for more than 25 years, and progeny generated from them. However, always looking for a wider genetic base, we have purchased some plants since. A few years ago "glanduliferums" were offered by a prominent breeder and we bought 20 or 30 of the plants, and they flowered clearly as a cross with wilhelminiae. After a while the same outfit offered "gardneri" for sale, and when they flowered out they appeared to be the same exact cross as was sold as glanduliferum. There is way too much of this crap going on by accident, and a lot not necessarily by accident. My 2 bits worth for the month.

I only bought it because I was being pressured by the 'species people'!
"Just say Yes! Just say Yes! Your friends won't think you're cool if you don't say Yes!" the Anti-Nancy Reagans

Very nice - it looks like a wilheminiae to me - flower count - flower size and color are wilheminiae specific - but I'm not an expert

Bob Wellenstein said:
It's a bit dangerous to work from photos of one angle, but it certainly does appear to have some Paph. wilhelminiae influence. Unfortunately, unless you have plants that go back pre CITES or have bred your own, its going to be tough to know if you have the real thing (of either species) or a hybrid. We are fortunate to have examples of both that have been in our possession for more than 25 years, and progeny generated from them. However, always looking for a wider genetic base, we have purchased some plants since. A few years ago "glanduliferums" were offered by a prominent breeder and we bought 20 or 30 of the plants, and they flowered clearly as a cross with wilhelminiae. After a while the same outfit offered "gardneri" for sale, and when they flowered out they appeared to be the same exact cross as was sold as glanduliferum. There is way too much of this crap going on by accident, and a lot not necessarily by accident. My 2 bits worth for the month.
Wow, If you were sold plants with wrong identities, what hope there is if any for the average orchid collectors like us!!!

NY Eric
A nice flower with sharp colors. I like it. I have to second Bob Wellenstein as to its identity. I just recently bloomed out a plant sold to me as 'gardneri' and I am reasonably certain it is (adductum x wilhelminiae) - though I can't know for sure. As a result, while I may enjoy the flowers, I can never in good concious breed with it or sell a division of the plant unless I label it "unknown hybrid". I will keep growing mine because I enjoy its flower, I hope you enjoy yours too. But I recomend you don't perpetuate the problem by distributing the hybrid labelled as a species. I would also inform your source that you suspect your plant is mislabelled.
Leo

Eric, either name, the plant looks like an excellent one to have in any collection. I wouldn't mind having it.
Bob is true in his comments. I believe that the ethics in some nurseries to supply "correctly" named plants has gone out the door. The knowledge of "true" species unfortunately has been lost to a greater extent with the passing of the people who knew what was what. Many of them never documented or photographed their plants, if they did then they have been lost to who knows where. There are some very knowledgable species experts around including taxonomists that have highlighted many faults in the species being grown today as to being something that they are not or influenced by another 'like species' in their make up. This just highlights the problem that we now all face and that is, "are the species we now grow, species or a form of hybrid?" Bob has already indicated that what he bought as species are now hybrids. The same problem is now occuring with P.Conco-bellatulum and P.wenshanense. Many nurseries are changing their Conco-bells to wenshanense when they are actually a man made hybrid where as wenshanense is "???" a natural hybrid found in the wild. The RHS registration book, is by the current examples of 'doubtful' species parents, as in Bobs glanduliferums if used by another nursery in breeding, would produce flowers somewhat different to the ones produced with the genuine thing. Bob, I believe, is honest enough to recognise this and not sell plants under a false pretext of being a true species. Shame many others aren't.

Eric, they may be in the same boat as Bob, having not exactly what they thought they had and unintensionally sold them as genuine. It may turn out to be a learning experience for all. They may have bought the plants in flask too.

gonewild said:
So what about this one? How does it analyze out?

p-glandF.jpg

p-glandP.jpg
What ever it is, it is stunni i i ingly beautiful, my goodness.:drool:

Latest posts

Back