Paph. Geppetto 3N (moquetteanum x primulinum)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

This is a picture of a new primary that we made here at Orchids Limited: Paph. Geppetto. It is a cross between Paph. moquetteanum and Paph. primulinum.

These are all triploid, as we used our tetraploid clone of Paph. primulinum 'Kings Crown'. As we used the tetraploid form of primulinum, the flowers of this hybrid are lager than if they would have been regular diploid plants (the first flower was 8.5 cm across). Also due to the double shot of primulinum, the flowers have more yellow coloring. This hybrid is very similar to Paph. Pinocchio (= glaucophyllum x primulinum), but because moquettianum is now considered as a separate speces, we were able to register this cross. In case you are wondering where the name came from, Geppetto is the toymaker in the story Pinocchio.

Here is the plant:

Paphprimulinumxmoquettianum-3N-1820.jpg

Here is a close up of the flower:

Paphprimulinumxmoquettianum-3N-clos.jpg

Here is one of it's parents (Paph. primulinum 'Kings Crown' 4N):

PaphprimulinumflavumKingsCrown-clos.jpg

Robert

About time someone took care of this. Folks, if you have a Pinocchio (glaucophyllum ["senso stricto"] X prim), it might really be a Geppetto (moquettianum [ex glauco var. moq] X prim). How do you know? Look at Doc's version, particularly the dorsal sepal. It is "clean" green/green-yellow and has lots of dimples. Look at the "true" Pinocchio pictures at http://www.enlightenedorchids.com/PaphGallery.htm . The dorsal sepal is marked to muddy from the pigment in glauco's dorsal. Also, when mature, one would expect Geppetto plants to be larger than Pinocchio plants. I don't notice much glaucous (green-gray) foliage retained in Pinocchio from the glaucophyllum parent though.

-Ernie

I just noticed on the RHS website that Cloud's orchids had beet me to the naming of primulinum x moquetteanum. :sob::sob:

They registered it as Paph. Cloud's Prime Crystal (It was registered on 12/18/2007). I sent it my registration on 1/09/2008.

Robert

I just noticed on the RHS website that Cloud's orchids had beet me to the naming of primulinum x moquetteanum. :sob::sob:

They registered it as Paph. Cloud's Prime Crystal (It was registered on 12/18/2007). I sent it my registration on 1/09/2008.

Robert
That's disapointing!

Geppetto is a way better name. Oh well.

-Ernie

Thanks, I will probably use the name "Gepetto" for some other hybrid in the cochlopetalum group. Lately I am starting to like that group of Paph's more and more, so I have been doing some breeding within that group (I have made a lot of crosses with Paph. Amarantine (= moquetteanum x liemianum). I like the fact that the plants bloom for such a long time. I think we have a Paph. chamberlainianum that has been in constant bloom for the last few years (before one flower stalk is done blooming it will send out a new one).

Robert

Latest posts

Back