Paph Gary Romaga

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
I love everything about this one except the bunched flowers.

GAry%20Romagna%202.jpg

GAry%20Romagna.jpg

If you can get hold of some Kelpak, try spraying the plant when the spike has grown, but the buds haven’t fully emerged.

I have no idea If that’ll do anything, but the former US distributor for the product (the manufacturer does so now) owns a winery, and he sprays the grape vines at budding to get the rachis to elongate, allowing the berries to grow more fully and allowing easier penetration of fungicides.

If you can get hold of some Kelpak, try spraying the plant when the spike has grown, but the buds haven’t fully emerged.

I have no idea If that’ll do anything, but the former US distributor for the product (the manufacturer does so now) owns a winery, and he sprays the grape vines at budding to get the rachis to elongate, allowing the berries to grow more fully and allowing easier penetration of fungicides.
Wow. Definitely worth the experiment!

That holds a lot of promise.
Is it that yellow?
Origin?

Yes, the yellow from the phillipinense really comes through in this one.

The plant originally came from Castle Creek Nursery. I don't know the parents involved although he said there were a few other plants of the cross that had St Swithin 'Sunnybank' FCC/AOC as the parent.

Thanks for the tip Ray.

Dimmer, redder light will also help elongate the internodes (though you may end up with more dorsal recurvature as a trade-off), also high humidity, touch the stem as little as possible, and clip the ovary of the last flower directly to the stake so it holds it as high as possible.

That is a beauty David. The St Swithin parent must of been a strong yellow clone and the results amplified. Curious, is the 'Sunnybank' clone a yellow?

Dimmer, redder light will also help elongate the internodes (though you may end up with more dorsal recurvature as a trade-off), also high humidity, touch the stem as little as possible, and clip the ovary of the last flower directly to the stake so it holds it as high as possible.

Thanks Tony. Unfortunately I was away for a couple of weeks when the flowers were developing.

Sunnybank isnt very yellow at all (in my experience)

The yellow colour comes from the phillipinense grand parent. The pouch just looks the typical colour of phillipinense. That is the thing with complex hybrids. You can get a range of outcomes based on any of the species involved. I think this has generally the best of the parents involved. Yellow colour from the phillipinense and horizontal parents from the roth. Flowers are a bit small though.

Breathtaking, I also love everything about this flower. It looks like a roth with a philly-colured pouch, exactly what you’d hope for with this breeding. Looks like a relatively compact plant too, congrats!

Back