Paph. gardneri

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lienluu

gard02-04-07.JPG

Heather said:
There were a lot of these up on ebay recently. Nice looking plants, I thought about one. I like them, but wish the dorsal was more upright. Still, it's a pretty Paph.

Me too, that dorsal bugs me

Oooh, I love these :) Mine don't seem to bloom for me, even on 4 or 5 growths. Not sure what I need to do.

Anyway, that's a really beautifully composed photo, Lien :)

- Matt

I agree with Matt, Lien, the photo's composition is lovely. Are you still using the same camera and which lens?

Lovey the golden honey color of the pouch. It is a very dynamic looking flower. Is that the right word? hmmmmm.....

I see, Lien, that you shot this one on manual :) Your photo says that it was shot at 1/15th of a sec. at f3.5 on manual exposure, with 100mm lens. If you also went with manual focus, that might account for this one being a little bit soft.

I couldn't help myself and started messing around with this photo a bit. I over-did it on the contrast, but I thought I'd post it and show you another possibility for the photo. Actually, all i was intending to do was sharpen it a bit, but then it got out of hand...

The original:
gard02-04-07.JPG

vs. adjusted
gard02-04-07.jpg

I've decided that I actually prefer a little bit of softness in this photo, at least on the buds that aren't open yet. I guess all of that is just personal preference.

- Matt

Thanks Matt!

I shot it at a bunch of settings and i had another file with the same composition but much sharper and clearer...but i accidentally deleted it and cleared my trash before i realised it!

gore42 said:
I see, Lien, that you shot this one on manual :) Your photo says that it was shot at 1/15th of a sec. at f3.5 on manual exposure, with 100mm lens. If you also went with manual focus, that might account for this one being a little bit soft.

- Matt

Matt, how do you find out that information from a picture. Your the second person today to make comments about someones photo settings.

I would like to know how to find out what settings people are taking pictures at. I think it would really help me picture taking.

Kyle,

With most good digital cameras, that information is saved as meta-data in the photo. My Nikon and my Olympus both to do it; they save the time, date, exposure, flash settings, and a bunch of other stuff.

So, the trick is just to open the program in a file that can read the meta-data, and I'm sure there are tons of them out there. With Photoshop on PC, I do it like this:

1. Under the "File" tab, select "File Info..."
2. That brings up a dialog box. In CS2, select "Camera Data1" from the list on the left.

on older versions, you'll have to play around with the menu to find where they keep it :)

- Matt

Great looking flowers Lienluu. What's the flower span and the leaf span of the plant?

Just out of curiosity, why are you labeling this as gardeneri rather than wilhelminea? Does this plant have some collection history behind it?

There's a small freeware program that does the job it's called exif info -

shows Exif-data instantly with the mouse-pointer
- that's is if there's still exif data stored in the picture

http://home.pacbell.net/michal_k/Download/exiftip.zip

gore42 said:
Kyle,

With most good digital cameras, that information is saved as meta-data in the photo. My Nikon and my Olympus both to do it; they save the time, date, exposure, flash settings, and a bunch of other stuff.

So, the trick is just to open the program in a file that can read the meta-data, and I'm sure there are tons of them out there. With Photoshop on PC, I do it like this:

1. Under the "File" tab, select "File Info..."
2. That brings up a dialog box. In CS2, select "Camera Data1" from the list on the left.

on older versions, you'll have to play around with the menu to find where they keep it :)

- Matt

Thanks Matt and Uri.

So for both to work, I have to save the picture to my computer, correct?

Kyle

Latest posts

Back