Paph gardineri - my smallest multi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased this at a show a few years ago for just $20. It is by far my smallest mature multi with a leaf span of less than 10 inches. The dorsal is 2.5 cm wide and the petals are 8 cm long. The pouch is pitched up a bit and the dorsal is cast forward, but I like it anyway.

I know these are considered wilhelminiae or glanduliferum, but I have both and mine don't look like this. Mike
gardineri A.jpg gardineri B.jpg

I like the 'elevated' pouch...gives it some character/personality!

From its overall floral characteristics and especially the form and colour of the staminodal shield (or I might better add, from what one can see of it), I would say, that it's definately not glanduliferum...looks more like wilhelminiae to me... But would be nice to hear from some of the botanically more knowledgeable!

Kind regards,
Jens

Last edited:
I like the 'elevated' pouch...gives it some character/personality!

From its overall floral characteristics and especially the form and colour of the staminodal shield (or I might better add, from what one can see of it), I would say, that it's definately not glanduliferum...looks more like wilhelminiae to me... But would be nice to hear from some of the botanically more knowledgeable!

Kind regards,
Jens
might want to stir this up in the taxonomy forum... i recall an article in either Orchids or Orchid Digest that spent some time and effort to give us differentiators... but from what i recall gardinerii was one that was steeped in controversy... interesting info here... and also Guidos' take on it in his book. Other references in orchid species come back to glanduliferum... Red staminode has always meant wilhelminae to me... and gardineri as a element of that group (consistent with the first reference i cited above...) </DisclaimerNotATaxonomist>

Meant to add

Either way

NICE PLANT! :)

I'll leave the science to those more erudite than I, but visually there has always seemed to be some daylight there, to me at least.

Great looking orchid regardless, small stature makes it a singular multi.

Nice. Thanks for sharing. 10" leaf span or leaf length? That looks about 3 times bigger than the dwarf philli that Marilyn LeDoux had. I would love to get one of those!

Very nice a really lovely colour and flower. Congrats I'd have it in my collection in a heart beat.

can u attach some photo of Paph. wilhaminiae and gladuliferum to compare with gardinerii? I have Paph. gardineri too

Latest posts

Back