Paph. Franz Glanz? Aw screw it, it's probably Wossner China Moon

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
The sheath appeared in early June and didn't really do much. Over the last month and a half it really took off and finally opened up a few days ago. The plant seems stuck in a cycle of flopping the petals forward and then bringing them back to be nice in flat. Right now they are flopping forward a bit. If they magically flatten out again, I'll take another photo.

franz1ec0.jpg

franz2uq1.jpg

When petals are flat, NS is 13.5 cm.

To be completely honest, I'm not totally convinced this isn't Wossner China Moon (hang x armeniacum). Several people have told me they think it is indeed Franz, but I just can't make myself fully accept it. The staminode, hairyness, size, and petal attitude make me unsure. Whatever it is, I find it to be magnificent!

This is no doubt an awesome flower - the red veining contrasted against the yellow stam and flower is very eye-catching. A couple of my parvi and parvi/hybrids seemed to have stalled until recently when we had a couple of cooler nights. I am not that versed in the culture of them but it seems to be the only thing I changed.

I am not saying it does but it looks like it has some "special sauce" in it? True?

Sorry didn't see that. Maybe I should take the time to read and not just look at pics. I think most definitely this has hang in it to be honest

the staminode, dorsal shape, flower shape, color and the hairyness around the pouch. Does the hairy stuff go into the pouch?

I just grabbed the flashlight and looked. Yeah, the trichomes are pretty dense in the back of the pouch near the exits, too. All told, my guess is that this is Wossner China Moon.

I bet it even gets a smidge larger over the next week or so as it fully develops. The color is great!! I agree the staminode is very eye-catching.

There is a fragrance, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It almost smells like those white and chewy mints that some restaurants give out.

Latest posts

Back