Paph fowliei opening

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gore42

This fowliei has been a very easy, reliable bloomer for the past couple years. There's been an amazing amount of variation between bloomings, though. The first year was pale and the pouch narrow. The second year was dark and the pouch wide. This year, I'm getting something in between.

This was the first bloom, for comparison:

paph-fowliei.jpg

And these are this year's blooms. Again, these are not quite open yet. Some of you are saying to "Matt, have some patience and wait until they're open before you post!" Maybe I should, but honestly, I think it's useful to see blooms in different stages of development. So, I'll post more bloom photos later, and I'll wait until they're really open to do the 3D image. But for now...

paph-fowliei-3.jpg

paph-fowliei-4.jpg

paph-fowliei-5.jpg

I've decided that my lighting is responsible for the color problems that I'm getting. Even with the white balance set for the light, my purples turn out much more red or pink than they should. I'll try the next photos in natural light.

As Ever,
Matthew Gore

Hello Matthew,

I'm always impressed by your excellent photos and your well cultivated plants.
My Paph. fowliei didn't bloome yet only the album variety Paph. fowliei f. christianae did. But unfortunately I didn't own my digital camera at that time already. :(
So I have to sit, wait, be patient and - enjoy your photos!!! :)

Best regards from Germany, GuRu

Last edited:
gore42 said:
I've decided that my lighting is responsible for the color problems that I'm getting. Even with the white balance set for the light, my purples turn out much more red or pink than they should. I'll try the next photos in natural light.
As Ever,
Matthew Gore

I like to see the flowers before they are fully open also. ;)
The colors look great but if you think the color hues are slightly off you can adjust them in photo shop. It is pretty much to ask of any digital camera to get every hue in a photo exactly balanced. You'll find you most always will need to post process to get an exact color match. Film always yielded the same problems.

Thanks GuRu, it's always nice to hear that my photos are appreciated :) I don't have an albino fowliei yet, that's on my list, though.

Lance, I may end up adjusting the colors in photoshop, but I get much more accurate purples with natural light or fluorescent light, so that may ultimately be easier and more consistent.

- Matthew

gore42 said:
Lance, I may end up adjusting the colors in photoshop, but I get much more accurate purples with natural light or fluorescent light, so that may ultimately be easier and more consistent.

- Matthew

When you get more accurate purples with natural or fluorescent light what happens to the accuracy of the other colors?

your photography and plants never cease to amaze me, Matt.

Thanks Blake :)

Lance, the other colors usually look just as good under natural light. I find that the yellows are exagerated with my current lighting setup. I imagine that if certain wavelengths of light are missing in the original lighting situation, there is no way to make up for the missing data (ie, the materials that should have reflected those wavelengths didn't). The best I can do it try to make it look more natural. Of course, no matter what I do, there will always be problems with some colors, but I'd rather start out with as much data as I can to work with.

As Ever,
Matthew Gore

Dot, my lame Nikon only gives me jpg as an output format. One day, when I get a D-SLR, I'll be able to utilize the wonders of RAW :)

- Matt

I really like it. Gorgeous.
I'm hoping to get one in March if I'm lucky.
I do prefer the natural colours though!.
Cheers,
Tim

Latest posts

Back