paph fairrieanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raymond

Reaction score
few Paph fairrieanum even if they have all the same parents, I can consider two alba?

Attachments

• paph fairrieanum.jpg
    paph fairrieanum.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 100
If the parents were both red but each carried the "masked" albino trait (masked meaning hidden by the "normal" red gene), it is possible the off spring could be alba. This assumes a simple single recessive gene is responsible for the alba trait.

Yes, you can get a mix of normal colouratums and album offspring from two normal coloured parents....if the parents carry the album gene. However, I don't feel that the two light coloured flowers in your photo are album. They're just VERY light coloured plants. They seem to have some red pigment, although quite pale. The green of these flowers is a muddy green; not that bright, clean, emerald green we normally associate with true albums flowers.

Yes, you can get a mix of normal colouratums and album offspring from two normal coloured parents....if the parents carry the album gene. However, I don't feel that the two light coloured flowers in your photo are album. They're just VERY light coloured plants. They seem to have some red pigment, although quite pale. The green of these flowers is a muddy green; not that bright, clean, emerald green we normally associate with true albums flowers.

I agree. I had a plant like that, where it had just the faintest hint of red on it, originating from two normally colored parents. I was told to consider it a semi-alba.

Nice growing, good to see a batch of seedlings in bloom at the same time. Very nice. I agree with John M., the light colored ones are not albinos, they are 'Dilutes', one of the mutations that gets confused for albinism is the dilution gene, which softens color. When a breeder doubles up on this dilution trait the offspring can look just like an albino, except, somewhere on the plant or on the flower there will be a touch of purple, red or brown pigment which is the clue that you are looking at a dilute rather than an albino. Dilutes do not breed the same way as albinos. This explains why with some philippinense 'alba' (which wasn't really an alba, but rather a dilute) when crossed to other albas, the offspring all had some color. Now there are a few true albino philippinense around, but there are many more philippinense 'dilutes' around that look almost alba except for a touch of purple.

Your fairrieanums are 'dilutes', which is quite nice to look at and useful in breeding, once you know to plan for a different pattern of inheritance.

Well done.

Back