Paph. fairrieanum x Ruby Leopard

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartie2000

Reaction score
I bought this one in bloom, Paph. fairrieanum x Ruby Leopard at our local show. It was shipped all the way from Japan, so the bloom may have been squished.

I liked it because it has a large synsepal. Hopefully the future blooming will be better, this is not a perfect blooming. It has a second bloom, but I would have pinched the second bud off in this case before it developed.

Too bad Maudiae types seem to have fallen out of favour now among the serious slipper fans. They are still appealing to me, though I don't have many.

BTW, beware of sellers that flatten dorsals. The dorsal was flattened during the purchase (making it appear high quality) and I did not catch that at first, until already bought. This one is now popped back to a natural position. Anyway I am happy with it.

Fren, do you mean that they had manually "popped? the concave dorsal to a convex shape and it returned to it's normal position later? That's terrible!

I love the Maudies, by the way. I don't care what the prevailing fashion is!

Yup that is what I mean... An AOS judge fixed the dorsal for me, when she popped it back. I think I like it natural. Its not that cupped really.

Nice flowers, and very clear and sharp pictures.

Did you take them with natural lighting or did you use some form of artificial light?

Really nice Fren. Love the dorsal. Has some potential I think. I like the maudies although i don't have much. I have a lot of flasked seedlings though that are going ok.

David

All the tricks sellers try. First time I hear that one. :rollhappy: Very nice flowers pop or unpopped. Reminds me of a beautiful sport car I had with a big bump in the passenger right door. One day, my brother closed it hard and the bump popped back out. No more bump. He! He! He!. :D

Beautiful!

What else did you get Fren?? The show was great - so many great vendors. I saw one of your art pieces, a watercolor I think - it was beautiful.

good growing!
i really like the fairrieanum influence
i briefly volunteered at a grower who would make a rig out of q-tips to keep flowers flat, though he claimed it was to protect them during transport.
if you know this dude, though, you know that wasn't entirely the truth....

Wish I could have been at the show....I had another conference (alpines) in Victoria the same weekend.

I think that hybrid has potential. I never had any Maudiae types for years but in the last 2 years I have picked up 5...they are growing on me again (plus they are among the most reliable bloomers)

Beautiful!

What else did you get Fren?? The show was great - so many great vendors. I saw one of your art pieces, a watercolor I think - it was beautiful.

Thanks! I did enter art. And I was at the show everyday and i didn't get to meet you?

\ came home with more plants than I had wanted (I was supposed to limit myself to 2-3, but that didn't work being at the show everyday)...This show was dangerous because of the number of good oversea vendors (including Taiwanese paphs) even though I am in pressure to save money.

for Paphs I got
Paph. Hsinying Ruma ‘Red Plum’ x Hsinying Viny ‘Blood Ruby’ if my memory is correct.
Paph Lovely Stone
Paph Lady Isabelle
Paph Fanaticum (will post picture when bud opens)

plus I got a collection of 4 Chinese cymbidiums, and dendrobium Dawn Maree. were gifts except for one...what am I going to do with so many plants. Very pretty though.

Also I am mericloning two uncommon Phals that my friend bought. The meristems are already swelling :) I hope they take. Phal stuartiana var. nobilis, and a true Phal. amabilis (not a aphrodite or hybrid), if these count as plants.

...could have been worse. Norito Hasegawa had some awesome paphs too.

Nice flowers, and very clear and sharp pictures.

Did you take them with natural lighting or did you use some form of artificial light?

thanks,

I used natural lighting always. It was indoors, but sunny so this time I got really good shots.

The photos were decently crisp already. But I tend to sharpen them on my computer as well (though not too much otherwise it is unnatural.)

Latest posts

Back