Paph. fairrieanum 'Vinh Huy Nguyen' FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's small; but, size is only 10% of a score for Paphs, isn't it? Even so, it's miniature size is VERY pleasing. The plant is miniature too and the stem is not super long and weak. The flower is the most beautiful fairieanum that I've ever seen! While very different from other fairieanums, that's the whole point of an FCC, isn't it? It's different and IMO, all in a better way, other than the small size. So, it lost points on size; but, the rest is perfect. I want it!!!

This is interesting. The flower looks quite good, but the leaves look week to me. IMO it looks like a week first time blooming plant and not like a true miniature.

It would be interesting to see if the growth habit and size changes over time, and flower form too. How much is due to suppressed growth? As it is, the flower is huge relative to the plant though tiny in absolute terms. The color is very nice and the form is superb. It certainly deserves recognition if it is a true dwarf, and the awards system needs to have an appropriate way to award dwarf/teacup plants, but I imagine there are some AOS judges whose heads will explode when they see this.

The intense red around the dorsal and the petals is very
lovely. The shape is very nice too. Most AOS judges are
not knowledgable about Paphs. is my opinion, but I love
the flower anyway.

The flower is very lovely but I don't understand the award. For me this flower is far away from what a 'normal' fairieanum should look like.

I don't know anything about breeding, but I thought maybe the flower looked like that because it was a miniature. I don't think the villosum I had awarded really looks like a species villosum either. I saw a charleswothii on the forum a while ago that didn't look much like a species charlesworthii, but that's what happens when people start selecting for something that will end getting called Fat Boy
Don

Thanks for your comments. It's not mine, and I wasn't there for judging. As a judge I'm not really permitted to comment. I'm just interested in what everyone has to say about it.

Latest posts

Back