Paph fairrieanum v. not sure what you call it

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TADD

Rootless Wonder
Reaction score
Hey guys, this guy was labelled as an album. However it has a light brush of pink on the back of the dorsal. I got this from Lenette's before they closed in horrible shape. It has taken two years to recover and send up this.

fairrie1.jpg

It's got very good form. If it has a pink blush I wonder of it might be an alba x typical. I dont' know enough about fairrieanum to know what would happen if a regular one were crossed with an alba.

I have an album x typical that blooms out a very nice pink. I have a hard time telling it apart (except for the tag) from a straight typical. But, that's all I know about how that cross works.

It's not unusual for some album faiirieanums to bloom with a faint blush, they, like insigne sanderae, are different from the typical album that originates from a defect in one of the genes coding for the anthocyanin pathway. The amount of blush is variable from bloom to bloom, sometimes not present at all. A cross with a homozygous typical form would result in all typical color progeny. See the photo of a Candor Green Ice in another post and you'll see another example of this blush coming out, all parents in the lineage are albums. Did you make that connection Tadd?

Latest posts

Back