Paph. fairrieanum ('Gracefully Tall' x self)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merc

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my first ever fairrieanum flower. Purchased from Woodstream. I was totally not expecting it to be an album or in-spike so double awesome surprise! Especially fond of the ruffles of the petals and how they come to a perfect little point at the end. Also, I have never experienced a patterned staminode before. Very cool!
FEzydl4VcAM2v1G.jpegFEzyfLPVIAQ7jYN.jpegFEzyhAmUUAYIfU2.jpegFEzypvEVEAg8y7p.jpeg

Last edited:
This flower looks very nice and when you bought a 'normal' P. fairrie an P. fairrie album is a nice surprise. But your light set doesn't seem to be optimal because vast withe parts have an lilac hue.

Was it supposed to be an album?

Lovely! I would get in touch with the vendors to tell them of this surprise!

The fall offerings PDF mentioned album genes and that the flowers would be dark or pink. There was some time between when the PDF was published and when I put in my order. When I talked Bill he mentioned he had some in-spike and that the plant he was sending would be pink. Yay! I assumed pink meant pink like bubblegum, but maybe that means something different in terms of paphs? I am still learning proper terminology for paph things.

I am totally ecstatic I received an album because I somehow managed to kill my first paph fairrieannum var album. Likely because I am super inexperienced/a bad plant mom. Any tips to keeping fairrieanum happy would be greatly appreciated!

The fall offerings PDF mentioned album genes and that the flowers would be dark or pink. There was some time between when the PDF was published and when I put in my order. When I talked Bill he mentioned he had some in-spike and that the plant he was sending would be pink. Yay! I assumed pink meant pink like bubblegum, but maybe that means something different in terms of paphs? I am still learning proper terminology for paph things.

I am totally ecstatic I received an album because I somehow managed to kill my first paph fairrieannum var album. Likely because I am super inexperienced/a bad plant mom. Any tips to keeping fairrieanum happy would be greatly appreciated!
I don’t think they are real easy, but that is my opinion, kept moist and not allowed to dry out. But, others on here will have some input. Beautiful flower.

Congrats on blooming this species. It is not the easiest species to grow.

Like Jens says, this is the forma bohlmannianum, which is 'supposed' to be the album version of the species. But clearly from the presence of pink flush it is not true albino in any sense. Interesting how it is accepted as album by the same people who reject the dark dots (warts) on other album species.

Congrats on blooming this species. It is not the easiest species to grow.

Like Jens says, this is the forma bohlmannianum, which is 'supposed' to be the album version of the species. But clearly from the presence of pink flush it is not true albino in any sense. Interesting how it is accepted as album by the same people who reject the dark dots (warts) on other album species.
I sure don’t see any pink.

Thank you so much for clarifying what forma bohlmannianum means.

Interestingly, in natural light the pink is undetectable with the naked eye, but if I let the light of the lamp shine on and through the white of the petals of the fairrieanum I totally see the pink! Now I get why it was called pink! Light bulb moment for me! 💡

If I look at the whites of my little hellas that's also in bloom there is no pink present, so it definitely was not the LEDs causing the pink hue that I originally thought.

Fascinating hobby indeed!

Back