Paph. fairrieanum from OZ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really nice, nice to see one with out a really long stem
Yeah, it was a very nice plant in that the flower was a normal size but the plant was very compact and the spike was not too long.
unfortunately, the plant was very cranky and did nothing during its two years with me before I tossed it.
I did self the flower and it had high germination in the lab, but I was told one day that all were lost due to contamination which happened to this particular one out of a few that I had going. Strange! and sad as I was very much looking forward to starting the seedlings from this selfing of a nice clone. **** happens I guess.

Finally some pictures

Two red brown bar marks on the top leaf look to be of mechanical origin, possibly while being shipped or was already present at the nursery.
The leaf under this one is of concern to me, the one with slight red brown mark on the edge. It started from a small brown mark when I got this plant.
The second photo shows the under side of this leaf and it is worse than what the upper side shows.

f_zpsh8togsgy.jpg

The smaller leaf with browning tip on the right is from one of the three new fans. It was not present on the day of arrival but it started the next day, so I'm assuming it was mechanical damage, but I'm watching to see if it will progress.

f1_zpszujczg1x.jpg

This third picture also shows a minor mechanical damage, possibly from being bent, and this does not bother me. but that small circular brown mark is getting bigger.

f2_zpsd1kkucqy.jpg

This last photo shows one leaf with lots of mechanical damage, which again is not of big concern.
A bit blurry, but the little growth in front of the previously flowered growth is one that had aggressively browning tip that I had to cut off after watching it getting worse for the course of just two days.

f3_zpsyppl45fm.jpg
I know this is an old thread. Haven’t finished it yet. Don’t like the look of that coconut fiber. This condition is looking like rapid salt displeasure to me. Also wondering why, if it’s fungal, no one had chimed in with Dragon’s Blood?

I know this is an old thread. Haven’t finished it yet. Don’t like the look of that coconut fiber. This condition is looking like rapid salt displeasure to me. Also wondering why, if it’s fungal, no one had chimed in with Dragon’s Blood?

Coconut fiber is not to blame. I used to grow everything in coconut husk based mix with great results including fairrieanum. This particular fairrieanum just was not a good grower. It gradually declined. It came with lots of mechanical damage with fungal spots when I bought it.

Latest posts

Back