Paph. fairrieanum from OZ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love it, too!
One of the new growth came damaged, I thought, with a brown tip.
I waited for two days, and it continued on expanding, so I trimmed it off.
Hopefully I won't see it again.

It most likely will.
It seems to be the trend for other paphs as well, but the faire-maud type plants I had came mostly midsized already and some were smallish.
All of them got very large in just two years! Leaves were enormous and the spikes were very long.

will see what this one will do.

A very nice one! In my experience the stem will get longer over the years. I have fairries with stems tree times as long now as they were at their first bloom two years ago. But the leaves got longer as well.

Try running it on the dry side. At least lower the humidity to dry out the spots. Wrap it backup in the moss/ plastic bag again with liwer humidity.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Try running it on the dry side. At least lower the humidity to dry out the spots. Wrap it backup in the moss/ plastic bag again with liwer humidity.

I dried the root balls somewhat on the day of arrival, then I potted it up in chunky chc, small chips of stones, and some moss.
I grow in dry apartment, so too much humidity is never an issue.

I'm not sure if I want to trim off the affected areas because they are getting bigger.

Loose the arm to save the body. I learnt a hard lesson early on trying cut a little hear and there only to loose the whole plant to rot. Now-a-days I'll cut a whole growth off and start over rather then mess around loose the whole plant.

If it comes to that, don't hesitate.

I dont think it is rot rick. If you look at the first page pic it looks like isolated fungal spotting on the leaves...natural process.

Finally some pictures

Two red brown bar marks on the top leaf look to be of mechanical origin, possibly while being shipped or was already present at the nursery.
The leaf under this one is of concern to me, the one with slight red brown mark on the edge. It started from a small brown mark when I got this plant.
The second photo shows the under side of this leaf and it is worse than what the upper side shows.

f_zpsh8togsgy.jpg

The smaller leaf with browning tip on the right is from one of the three new fans. It was not present on the day of arrival but it started the next day, so I'm assuming it was mechanical damage, but I'm watching to see if it will progress.

f1_zpszujczg1x.jpg

This third picture also shows a minor mechanical damage, possibly from being bent, and this does not bother me. but that small circular brown mark is getting bigger.

f2_zpsd1kkucqy.jpg

This last photo shows one leaf with lots of mechanical damage, which again is not of big concern.
A bit blurry, but the little growth in front of the previously flowered growth is one that had aggressively browning tip that I had to cut off after watching it getting worse for the course of just two days.

f3_zpsyppl45fm.jpg

It is just fungal from normal mechanical damge. The one on the side of the leaf might turn into more though. Cinnamon or an antifungal spray will work. Keep the leaves dry but fairrie needs moist roots at all times. Plant looks fine and quite strong though.

Happypaphy7, I found this when I was doing a Google comparative of my fairrieanum with others! This one better than mine. What I notice is that the proportion of the dark veining to the white in the dorsal is more nicely balanced and distinct. Also, the waviness of the dorsal in mine is much deeper, which means there's less to enjoy. And the pouch on yours is more distinctly veined than mine and has a very nicely pronounced bulbousness to it. So mine is quite average in my opinion. But I like it anyway. I'll post pics on that thread when I'm sure it's reached it's complete fullness.

interesting... i can see the images... seems like a photobucket issue... i have an account, that may be the trick...

Latest posts

Back