Paph fairrieanum fma. bohlmannianum 'En Moss'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this one in bloom, but the plant had been accidentally pulled out of its pot and the roots had dried, hence the cultivar name. The flower is small, but very flat.
Paphfairrieanumalbumenmoss.jpg

Dear Paphreek, I like your fairrieanum. It is one of my favourites. This was actually the one that caught my attention and started my collection. I bought one 3 years ago for $18 with leaves only 1 inch long and I just couldn't keep it alive. Some 7 months ago I bought an advanced plant and it has just flowered but unfortunately it is a philippinense palawanense and I have to keep looking to get a fairrieanum. I think the green ones are very rare here in Australia. All the best from another paphreek. Bernhard

I think the green ones are very rare here in Australia.

P.fairrieanum fma Bolmannianum is not really rare its just that it seems growers to kill it regularly. I think 'Bolero' & I bought seedlings of it from the same source recently. I know Bolero is questioning the potting of them, mine were the same, I'll answer that question in his post. My plants seem to be growing very well & hopefully continue to do so. There are a number of hybridist selfing and outcrossing this plant but seedlings produced seem to be low and you need to be very quick in line to buy them.

I think the green ones are very rare here in Australia.

P.fairrieanum fma Bolmannianum is not really rare its just that it seems growers to kill it regularly. I think 'Bolero' & I bought seedlings of it from the same source recently. I know Bolero is questioning the potting of them, mine were the same, I'll answer that question in his post. My plants seem to be growing very well & hopefully continue to do so. There are a number of hybridist selfing and outcrossing this plant but seedlings produced seem to be low and you need to be very quick in line to buy them.

The same is somewhat true in the US. However, right now there are several places selling this form of fairrieanum for reasonable prices, including Orchids, Ltd. and Enlightened Orchids.

I bought mine from Ernie because I've seen him contributing here. I am very happy with it and was very pleased with how he packed my plants to ship them to me.

Mine is still alive and looks good, at least to me it looks good. It was mentioned above that growers tend to kill these. Any particular pitfall to avoid or are they just fussier than most paphs?

Yeah, the ('Hagee's' x self) that were in the states a handful of years ago were crappy and had absolutely no vigor (ie. liked to die). Have seen many different spelling for 'Hagee's' BTW. The recent batches that have been around are very vigorous, and I like the flowers better than 'Hagee's' version.

-Ernie

TheLorax, You have a "good one". :) ('Green Baby' x '#2') or its recip. I killed all my Hagee's but one, and it's been a 3" leafspan plant since 2002.

-Ernie

Dear Paphreek, My fairrieanum was bought in Toowoomba which is 700kms south of Rockhampton and situated high above sea level with a cool temperature most of the year. Rockhampton lies on Tropic of Capricorn and at times is very hot and dry. I bought some orchids from Toowoomba again about 8 mths ago and 3 plants just won't grow; I lost another 3 and 3 are doing fine. The latest idea here is to grow young paphs on green algae as I heard that green algae releases sugars which is picked up by the leaves. All my other orchids which are grown locally, are doing excellently with this new idea. Regards Bernhard

Bernhard, P. fairrieanum will be a difficult plant to grow in your area. Even though I have on started growing it in the last 6 months with only small seedlings they are doing fine down here in the cooler climate. My G/house temps range in that time from 12c min to 25c when the coolers kick in holding the top temp to 28c. The seedlings are growing extremely well. Another grower locally tried to grow his fairrieanum at a min 16c & 35c top and kill the plants. Most of the successful growers I know of fairrieanum say that the plant doen't like too much heat and likes the cooler overnite temps plus good shading.

Latest posts

Back