Paph. fairieanum ssp ? or X ??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernd_S

Bernd
Reaction score
Hi,
1 year ago, i sold an paphiopedilum fairienum at Munich orchid show from an chinese/taiwanese seller.
The PLant has a very dark flower and the leaves are more than 30 cm span.
here some pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernds_fotoalben/sets/72157642477816785/

My question:
is it a true fairieanum? or a hybrid? ( i could not see signs from oter spec. only colour and very long leaves)
Some told me, that it could be:
Paphiopedilum fairrieanum var. nigrescens Pradhan, Indian Orchids: Guide Identif. & Cult. 2: 674 (1979)
regards
Bernd

Plant is fairrieanum, staminode very similar to fairrieanum typ, flower shape too.

All is fairrieanum for me, except this amazing color of course.
And I have difficulties to know what could be the other parent if it was an hybrid.

A friend told me:
Orchid Digest, S.Pradhan aus Kalimpong (Indien) OD Heft 4 1978
a picture from var "Rubi Red" and a drawing var nigescens.
???? does someone knows these article. At web i counldnt find any pictures.
Leaves:up to 28 cm long, above mid- to dark-green with faint mottling, below pale green.
I have other, "normal" fairieanums so i can say, taht the leaves are 100% fairieanum.
It temains only the color and i could not find signs of an other spec. mixed in ???

It does look fairreanum to me too (If a hybrid, I have no cloue what the other parent is) Looks like it just opened. Maybe you can post another more opened flower. Then we can probably tell what it is. If it does tuen out a fairreanum. I'm definitely going to be jealous.

About the only hybrid I can think of, and I don't know that it was ever made, would be Varvara back-crossed to fairrieanum. Even if it was made there is no guaranty one would get these colors. I think, until proven otherwise, its one in a million super dark fairrieanum.

A friend told me:
Orchid Digest, S.Pradhan aus Kalimpong (Indien) OD Heft 4 1978
a picture from var "Rubi Red" and a drawing var nigescens.
???? does someone knows these article. At web i couldn't find any pictures.
Leaves:up to 28 cm long, above mid- to dark-green with faint mottling, below pale green.
I have other, "normal" fairrieanums so i can say, that the leaves are 100% fairieanum.
It remains only the color and i could not find signs of an other spec. mixed in ???

I might have this magazine

There is an awarded clone pictured in OrchidWiz, Paph farrieanum 'Red' AM/AOS (and 2 HCC/AOS awards) that is quite similar to this - same depth of color but a slightly different shade (which could just be lighting/photography), slightly different color distribution, and without the badly folded dorsal. I think any number of vini-color Maudiae type x farrieanum crosses, back-crossed to fairrieanum, might get close to this appearance, but especially after seeing the picture of 'Red' I see nothing in this flower that isn't farrieanum.

here is the article, 8 pages long. Click on the pages to magnify and you can read. I think you have the real thing.

http://s250.photobucket.com/user/SlipperKing/library/Varieties of fairrieanum

Here is the one page from the article you are interested in Bernd
IMG_5782_zpse1089f9f.jpg

I say it's fairreanum, but with a cupped dorsal. I have found that when it is bloomed at a cool temperature, fairreanum can be very dark, especially in the dorsal.

nor the flower is full open.
here more pictures (full res.) Photographes in full sun. No flash, no software.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernds_fotoalben/sets/72157642630647623/

@Eric Muehlbauer indeed it grows cool. In winter i have 8°C (day) and 5°C (night) now (ca 3 weeks) i have 15-18°C °C (day) and 10°C (night)
whes sum tem. raises up to 20 °C (since ca 2 weeks)
@SlipperKing ... lot of thanks :)

Bernd, I wrote to you in the other forum that I think this is likely a hybrid, but cannot account for the plain green leaves.
I've looked at many pics in the internet (where are your blooming fairries at home when you need them?) and there are minor things that set this flower apart from the common fairries:
All fairries have a twisted and pinched dorsal sepal, but the fold in yours is just different.
The petal stance and curve is somewhat different, too.
The staminode has a different shape: whilst fairrieanum usually has an almost round or squarish staminode, yours is diamond-shaped. In addition, is has more white in it and less green veination.
The bract of fairrieanum covers usually 1/3-1/2 of the ovary, and the tip is clearly bent upwards. In your flower, the bract is longer and does not clearly curve up. It is white vs. green in fairrieanum.
The colour is sensational for its intenity and depth. Your flower lacks any green veination, even on the petals, and lacks the brownish-yellowish base colour of the pouch. Even a dark pouch of fairrieanum has red-brown, not this bright brick red.

Carsten, look carefully at the line drawing of nigrescens from March 1975. You will see on the side view the dorsal clearly reflexes forward. Nigrescens is not your typical run-of-the-mill fairrieanum. Bernd's flower fits well within the above description of 1978 publication.
When I loaded the whole article above I was able to click on the individual pages to maginify enough to read but from work I'm not able to. I'll have to read the article from home and see if it goes into detail for nigrescens to shed more light on the topic.

I have never seen a fairie that intensely coloured, not even close. Even the dark clones are more purple than red.
That is an amazing flower if the providence can be verified as collected and not 'bred'.......
If the plant is strong enough it should be selfed - that will probably answer the question and provide seedlings for the rest of us!!!

Back