Paph exul

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

G

gore42

Imported this plant about 2 years ago, and this is the first time is has bloomed for me. I had to move it to a very bright bench before is started really putting on good growth.

It has been open for about 2 weeks now, and the dorsal sepal is still not very upright... seems to be typical with this species. Here's the shape from the side:

As Ever,
Matthew Gore

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Reaction score
It has been open for about 2 weeks now, and the dorsal sepal is still not very upright... seems to be typical with this species....
P. exul isn't seen often and although I grow one I was lucky if it was in flowering size. Regarding the stance of the dorsal I can't confirm your testimony by my own experience. If you look at Stephen's site http://www.slipperorchids.info/paphspecies/index.html you will see that most of P. exul photos show an upright dorsal - but not all. It seems to be a clonal feature.
By the way - don't let us talk about the photos. :drool:
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

Rick

Reaction score
These are real cuppy flowers in this species.

Looks like they're just reaching out to hug someone:eek:

F

Faan

Nice picture. GuRu do I understand you correctly that exul is difficult to bloom? The one I have is growing well but has not bloomed for me yet. Will see what happens this season.

G

goldenrose

and I thought it was being shy?! :p
Love the photos, as usual!

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Reaction score
..GuRu do I understand you correctly that exul is difficult to bloom? The one I have is growing well but has not bloomed for me yet....
No Faan, that's not what I intended to express and not what I wrote. So far I've got no experiences to flower P. exul because it hasn't reached flowering size unfortunately yet. So I've got to be patient.
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

Rick

Reaction score
This one is a fast grower and easy bloomer if you give it vanda light and warm temps.

I also have a good handful of oyster shell in the potting mix.