Paph. Everspring Prince

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hope someone can explain this. This plant seems to like to make keikis. One is growing from below the bark line and the plant has put out two spikes both of which had leaves growing a the nodes on the spikes. (1st photo)
Now I noticed that one of the spikes is turning brown and dying, from the base up. It’s not drying up, the spike is sort of soft in the brown area rather than firm like the rest of the spike. (2nd photo)
Any ideas?
Also, should I remove the baby plant at the base next time I repot?
04ED75D3-600C-4CD4-849F-1C4907C929D0.jpeg

758946D1-34E7-44EB-89CF-82D1CC142E1E.jpeg

First of all, it’s a phalaenopsis, not a paphiopedilum.

Some species are “keiki factories”. This hybrid might have some of those genes, but poor culture can also spur on their formation, as can the excessive use of hormones.

The growths at the base are likely sharing the mother plant’s root system, so cannot be separated. Likewise, the formations on the flower spikes are not fully formed into keikies and have no roots, so are not viable if separated.

So...if you want keikies to share or expand your collection, do nothing. If you don’t want them, remove the spikes.

Latest posts

Back