Paph emersonii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silence882

Horse whisperer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My Paph emersonii is blooming on a short spike. Because 2020. It started to open with no spike at all visible, but luckily the spike got just long enough that the bloom could unfold properly. It bloomed normally on it's first growth 2 years ago.

I got this in flask from Hengduan.

PXL_20201103_193316770.jpg
PXL_20201103_193327275.jpg

--Stephen

The flower is an eye catcher. Congrats Stephen. đź‘Ś
As to the short stem could it be that the plant get too much light? The yellowish leaves may be a hint too.....if it isn't a lack of Mg or Fe?

Hi everyone,

My Paph emersonii is blooming on a short spike. Because 2020. It started to open with no spike at all visible, but luckily the spike got just long enough that the bloom could unfold properly. It bloomed normally on it's first growth 2 years ago.

View attachment 23056
View attachment 23057

--Stephen

Love the flower.. ditto to all the comments above

You said 'flask'. How many more did you keep/ grow on?... and did the flask indicate the parents?

Hi everyone,

View attachment 23056
View attachment 23057

--Stephen
Unusual colour form! 🥇

Very nice. I especially like the minute stenches of red covering the petals! (and in this, yet again, only mirroring Leslie's verdict). Glad the spike developed to a workable size - would have been a bitter fruit, if it had stayed on strike!
I was definitely having a WTF moment when I saw the ovary emerging directly from the fan. Was very much happy when the tiny spike appeared.
Btw how large is the plant from tip to tip of leaves?
This growth is 28 cm.
The flower is an eye catcher. Congrats Stephen. đź‘Ś
As to the short stem could it be that the plant get too much light? The yellowish leaves may be a hint too.....if it isn't a lack of Mg or Fe?
Dunno, this plant has always had pale leaves while growing right next to other plants with much darker leaves. And my whole collection gets a Ca/Mg/Fe supplement every other watering, so I don't think it's that. And it grows happily, so I'm content to just leave it be.
Lovely flower! Any tips on growing this one?
Unfortunately, I can't give specific tips as my whole collection grows in the same cabinet in my dining room. Humidity stays at 65%-75% at all times. Summer temps are roughly 78F days and 70F nights. Winter temps are 72F days and 60F nights. Lighting is from LED boards 18" above the pot rims.
Love the flower.. ditto to all the comments above

You said 'flask'. How many more did you keep/ grow on?... and did the flask indicate the parents?
This is the only one I ever flowered. I sold a community pot of them when they were all little and kept 4. One died, I bloomed this one, then sold 2 other BS ones. The Hengduan catalog indicated this was a sib cross of '#34' x '#35' and that the parents had "petals finely red spotted".
This is a revelation in this species. They’re always impressive but this is the first one I would call pretty. Well done.
Thanks! I really like the speckling on this one.
Good work. They are not easy to bloom. Is it fragrant? Thanks for sharing.
Yes, it's definitely fragrant but I can't place what it smells like. Did the sibling you got from me ever bloom?

Great! Please post pics when it blooms. I haven't seen any of sibling photos.
Maybe I will take a photo of mine when it blooms(in a couple of months?). You should find some photos of this species here if you do a search. Actually, I bought mine from a member here and he posted photos of his here.

Maybe I will take a photo of mine when it blooms(in a couple of months?). You should find some photos of this species here if you do a search. Actually, I bought mine from a member here and he posted photos of his here.
I think I sold you your emersonii :D . It came out of the same flask as this one. I'd be interested to see how much of the red speckling yours has.

I think I sold you your emersonii :D . It came out of the same flask as this one. I'd be interested to see how much of the red speckling yours has.
Sorry. I just could not remember...
My plant is in low bud/spike now and I guess it will take a little while to develop. BTW, the leaves are all green and shiny now and a new growth has just started. I will let you know when it blooms. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back