Paph emersonii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DukeBoxer

Reaction score
Does anyone here have an emersonii and if so how well does it do? What about an indoor grower? I find that to be one of the nicest paph species I have seen.

-Josh

If you go to the search feature at the top of the page and search under emersonii, you'll get lots of threads and photos. Many people have posted info. about them. Some people have stated they aren't the easiest specie.

Two of the ones I got from New york recently ,bloom the last few weeks without any special treatment at all (Although, they may have been ready to flower anyway from the vendor's previous care )
The flowers are not so big, perhaps because they are first blooms, or because of my non-optimum condition.
-The first one a few week ago has the nicest sweet fragrant
-The second one in bloom now, is less sweet, a little more musky.

Well, emersonii is a great paph...and a difficult one. It grows slowly....and in my experience, its the easiest of the parvi's (aside from delanatii) to bloom....and the hardest to keep alive after bloom. I've bloomed 2, both died within a year or so after blooming. Very frustrating...and emersonii has a really nice fragrance too....Take care, Eric

While I haven't had my emersonii very long, I agree with what has been posted. I don't think it is that slow of a grower. Call me crazy, but I absolutely love the lush green and shiny foliage.

my emersonii conditions -- seem easy to me...

Hi all,

I've grown a number of emersonii from different sources, including Orchid Zone, Sherwood Orchids, and elsewhere. In fact, I've got a number of BS and NBS which appear to be quite vigorous.

I've found them to be quite easy to grow, and haven't had trouble flowering the ones that were blooming size. The leaves are fleshy and thick, and roots are very good.

Some of these I've grown under lights (HPS and MH), and I've made sure to keep the humidity at least 60%. My mix is lava rock/fir bark, and I water only with RO water, very light fertilization.

If anyone is interested, please drop me a line -- I'd be happy to send pictures.

Regards,

DYH
[email protected]
www.paphinessorchids.com

I started out with 2 young plants from 2 different sources at 2 different times. The first one lingered for about 3 years having summer growth spurts and lousy winters. The second one started the same way, but I have since moved it to a cooler dimmer area of the GH with higher humidity, and its really taking off.

The potting mix is very open with oyster shell in it. I water with RO water. I think the biggest problem for me has been too much light and probably marginal humidity. It's pretty close to my sanderianums, which also surprised me as to how much they seem to prefer the darker, cooler/humid, breezy part of the GH.

I have had several emersonii for at least 10 or more years. It does not need anything special, but it is so slow that it is difficult to tell when you are doing things right and when you are doing things wrong. At best my most vigorous clone will bloom once every 3 years. My less vigorous clones will bloom about once every 5 or 6 years. Most of my emersonii I have only seen bloom once or twice in the 10 to 15 years I have owned them. I consider them difficult because they are so slow growing.
Good luck.

At best my most vigorous clone will bloom once every 3 years. My less vigorous clones will bloom about once every 5 or 6 years. Most of my emersonii I have only seen bloom once or twice in the 10 to 15 years I have owned them. I consider them difficult because they are so slow growing.
Good luck.

:(:ninja::ninja:well I guess it will be a (long) while before I see mine in bloom ! :(

I have had several emersonii for at least 10 or more years. It does not need anything special, but it is so slow that it is difficult to tell when you are doing things right and when you are doing things wrong. At best my most vigorous clone will bloom once every 3 years. My less vigorous clones will bloom about once every 5 or 6 years. Most of my emersonii I have only seen bloom once or twice in the 10 to 15 years I have owned them. I consider them difficult because they are so slow growing.
Good luck.

So the dificulty really is the growth speed of the plants makes it hard to adjust/ and guess which condition really makes the difference.
I wonder whether in nature, the plant matures one growth as well as flowers every year?

Last edited:
Somebody should make it a project, and make repeated visits to the same emersonii site, in the wild, either Viet Nam or China. Repeat observations to the same site will tell over time what the plants actually do in the wild. I don't thing any such observations have been published. It is one thing to guess, it is another thing to observe.

Good luck.

I would def agree with this

Latest posts

Back