Paph druryi, callosum and lowii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe a bit but I'm sure I lost a couple of growths to rot earlier this year. Maybe with time this will be less of a problem. Fortunately it is producing lots of new growths.

Did you need to intervene with some kind of treatment, or did the plant just take care of itself?

In other large multi growth plants the pattern I saw was that in the past, rots would take out a whole plant without intervention, and sometimes with intervention.

Then I would see some growth loss (or maybe just a leaf or two) would die back, but I would either not need to intervene at all or just be diligent, and pull off the infected leaf, and dab on some cinnamon. Usually it was older growths rather than the newest that would have problems. (Calcium goes into plants slowly and only through good roots. Once incorporated into the leaves, it doesn't move well through the rest of the plant, so poor Ca/Mg:K leaf balances are locked in).

Now I rarely see any rots at all.

But in bigger plants the effect was pretty gradual over the last two years.

But the fastest response noted was that new leaf size and substance was bigger and shinier.

Did you need to intervene with some kind of treatment, or did the plant just take care of itself?

In other large multi growth plants the pattern I saw was that in the past, rots would take out a whole plant without intervention, and sometimes with intervention.

Then I would see some growth loss (or maybe just a leaf or two) would die back, but I would either not need to intervene at all or just be diligent, and pull off the infected leaf, and dab on some cinnamon. Usually it was older growths rather than the newest that would have problems. (Calcium goes into plants slowly and only through good roots. Once incorporated into the leaves, it doesn't move well through the rest of the plant, so poor Ca/Mg:K leaf balances are locked in).

Now I rarely see any rots at all.

But in bigger plants the effect was pretty gradual over the last two years.

But the fastest response noted was that new leaf size and substance was bigger and shinier.

No, I didn't treat it Rick. I find the rots I get generally only affect the growth in question. It doesn't spread to the rest of the plant. I might move the plant closer to the fan to give it a bit more vigorous air movement.

I don't think I'm seeing as much rot as previously although I still get the odd plant.

Great blooms, all of them!!!! I esp. like the druryi too!!!! What is the size of the bloom David, to get an idea of the plant size? Jean

Love all three! My druryi is blooming now, too! About the same size clump. Last year the only bud blasted. I keep mine really well aerated, since it lost a fan to rot last year. This time no losses.

Latest posts

Back