Paph Doll's Kobold (From a different cross)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Doll's Kobold (charlesworthii x henryanum) probably comes from different parents than the two I previously posted pictures of. The other two have a solid, chunky look, while this one is smaller, has finer features and has a green coloration in the center of the dorsal. Unfortunately, the dorsal is not as full. The leaves are also shorter and narrower.

PaphDollsKoboldMM.jpg

PaphDollsKoboldMMplant.jpg

I like the plant's small size, its vigorous clumping growths, and the delicate character of the flower, and its nice flat presentation. The question is what's next? Try to widen the petals or dorsal? Add more color? Reduce the size some more? Or not breed with it at all?

It has the look of an antique paph.
I like the color...just needs beefing up the dorsal and petals.

--Allen--

I love this form!!! Slim and beautiful spots pattern on the dorsal!!! (Not that the other ones with roundish petals are not beautiful... :p)

Nice in it own right Ross
I think so too! This my absolute favorite primary cross.

I like the plant's small size, its vigorous clumping growths, and the delicate character of the flower, and its nice flat presentation. The question is what's next? Try to widen the petals or dorsal? Add more color? Reduce the size some more? Or not breed with it at all?
I'd agree with Allen, it needs beefing up, might be easier said than done.

I was thinking along the same line as Rick since I love pinks, but wouldn't your earlier, chunky Kobolds be the better choice for a complex cross?

How about using it on one of those tiny fowliei album?

I was thinking along the same line as Rick since I love pinks, but wouldn't your earlier, chunky Kobolds be the better choice for a complex cross?
One would think so but I thought I talked to someone or read somewhere that that might not be the case. If they're siblings, couldn't one be doubling up on the weaknesses of the cross as well as the strengths? If that's the case, then it's a crapshoot.
How about using it on one of those tiny fowliei album?
If the aim were to chunk it up, I don't think fowliei would help there.

I see Carsten's point. Keep the delicate, ethereal feel of the flower on this one. Unfortunately, I don't feel the other two have good enough form to breed with. While having a much less impressive dorsal, size wise, the plant has a much flatter presentation.

Latest posts

Back