Paph Dolliroth - Orchids Limited

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Doll's most famous hybrid must be Dollgoldii, which is armeniacum X roth. I have a division of a very good one from Orchids Limited, but though it is a multi growth plant, I have not been able to bloom this one.

GS 2 is a size of the "stone" in Growstones. Growstones are more basic. Even after multiple washings, I found that Growstones suspended in RO water will have a pH around 7.0. But, the characteristics of sphagnum moss create a more acid environment, so there is a balancing of the effect. But, I found that I still needed the effect of the lemon juice to end up with a final media pH that was around 6.2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you very much!

It must be very basic, then.
When I make fertilizer dilution, the pH of the solution is around 6.0 although this might be way off as I don't use a scientific grade devise, but just the paper tester.
so, not sure how reliable that is.
I just used a few times out of curiosity a few months ago.

One last question, sorry, how much lemon juice do you add to how much water?

5 mL lemon juice per gallon of water (sorry mixing types of measurements) is what I settled on after a careful discussion in another forum post. This is clearly a safe amount in terms of the amount of citrate. My fertilizer solution is about 4.8 but the pour through pH an hour after fertilization is about pH 6.2 so I think the acid is needed.

I have never tried growing in pure Growstones but would think you need an orchid genera that wants very alkaline conditions.

I remember that description.
One reason why I will never buy expensive divisions of such hybrid.
You never know how they will behave.

Now that makes me curious. Hadley Cash had this Delrosi named Clockwork and the description says it blooms like a clock work every year.

This was a fairly recent remake of an original rothschildianum cross and I wonder if some of you think that the use of more recent selected line bred rothschildianum plants as parents has improved the speed of growth or the ease of blooming of these crosses?

Are more recent crosses of Dollgoldi, Delrosi, Harold Koopowitz, or Woluwnese, for example become better growers and bloomers or are these still relatively difficult growers and bloomers?

Can someone tell me the main difference between "old" and new roth?
Slow grow and reluctant to bloom??
I don't know much about them and don't care for them at all, although I like many of its hybrids.

Terry-

From what I hear from different "testimonies", both older and newer versions of such hybrids make little difference.
With the newer roth parent, there is this hope that the hybrids will be easier.
It is more like individual difference. You just have to get lucky to end up with good ones.

Back