Paph dianthum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gore42

I thought that this plant was going to give me a really great display of blooms this summer, but apparently I haven't been treating it well enough. So far, I've blasted 4 out of the 10 or 11 buds. *sigh* I guess it's the heat. The plant has 3 spikes, one with 3 buds, one with 4, and one that was going to have 4, I think.

Anyway, this spike still has all three... one bloom and two buds. I'll post more photos when the rest are opened.

paph-dianthum1a.jpg

I shot the photo at a bit of an odd angle because the other spikes were in the way... if they keep blasting at this rate, I'll just cut them off before I take the next photos.

- Matt

Beautiful,

one of my most favorite species. I like its position, petal posture, the tilt in the dorsal, the color.... a great flower, regardless of the blasted ones.

Christian

Yes, Heather, it is the one that I got from you. I have been growing it bright, trying to increase the flower production. It may have worked, but also burned the leaves. Did I mention that this plant is mad at me?

- Matt

Yes, Heather, it is the one that I got from you. I have been growing it bright, trying to increase the flower production. It may have worked, but also burned the leaves. Did I mention that this plant is mad at me?

- Matt

It was mad at me too, dear.
Why I sold it to you! :poke:

Seriously, I had these issues with all of the pardolopetalums and chalked it up to that. I grew it less bright and it blasted.

Sigh....

How bright should dianthum be grown? I know that parishii grows shady, and I've been keeping my dianthum moderately shady, a little more light than parishii, but basically shaded outdoors all day. About the same light I give haynaldianum...Indoors, dianthum is in my cool room, getting some winter sun, while parishii is under lights (its smaller). I got my dianthum from Clackamas, so it was pretty bleached when I got it (he must grow under very bright light...all his plants are pale), but it looks more normal now. Not exactly a speed demon in the growth department though....Take care, Eric

I grow them moderately bright... that is, not as bright as stonei and philippinense and the like, but brighter than I grow Paph dayanum and my other mottled leaf Paphs. This particular dianthum was growing very bright all year and didn't have any problem with it until it started getting really hot here last month. It was grown under a 1000 W metal halide (high humidity, in the path of a fan). About 6 feet under. Now I've moved it to the shade.

- Matt

Latest posts

Back