Paph. dianthum album ‘Only the Lonely’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dianthum! I have always stopped on them when contemplating what next.....

Dianthum! I have always stopped on them when contemplating what next.....
In order to continue your peaceful contemplation process, all you have to do is get one of these. It is easy to grow and bloom, on relative small plants. It's almost like the elusive parishii album. That I think is the cure lol.

Looking forward to seeing yours fully open! I selfed & sibbed the pair I had open last July - pods still cooking! - and I want to see how mine compare. :D

Both very lovely! :p

But, Leslie, for once I have to take issue with you - and on behalf of the beautifull plant - in respect of the clonal name: to associate such unremitting beauty with loneliness just won't do! And next year and the year after, when it with certainty will present itself with more flowers you will over and over again and incessantly have to explain the reason for choosing that name.
I understood the pride in naming the wonderful Catt 'Three Pintos' (or something like that) because of the triple flowers. In this case it is like you want to chastigate the plant. If you are in need of expressing your dissatisfaction, a much more adequate way would be to banish the plant, and send it to me! 😍😆
(And no reason to pester me with nautical objections - I'm sure our German friends can be of help, when we again can roam and travel the world freely!) 🏴‍☠️

I love it when my given cultivar names elicit an emotional response lol.

Jens, I decide on names purely based on what the flowers says to me. And indeed he’s kinda alone for now. I may change the name in the future if:

1. He keeps all the buds to open
2. The other 3 dianthum album plants bloom in parallel.

So for now, he is stuck with that moniker.

I will post an updated pic. He’s opened larger and twisted the petals. Unfortunately some physan got on him and scarred his pouch (ouchie!). My fault! Bad daddy 😕

Nice. Again my diathum is in bud which should open soon. I don',t know how we are synchronising our flowering on opposite sides of the world. 🙂

What is the big multi on bud just behind the diathum?

I just checked OrchidWiz, and yes you are right.... my blooms are out of sync for northerm hemisphere. I had set my OrchidWiz by mistake to southern hemisphere setting lol. Seems like my plants are following this wrong setting too.

The tall spike behind the dianthum album is a normal lowii, a huge plant with 8 growths.

I just checked OrchidWiz, and yes you are right.... my blooms are out of sync for northerm hemisphere. I had set my OrchidWiz by mistake to southern hemisphere setting lol. Seems like my plants are following this wrong setting too.
Growing under light doesn't that kind of make OrchidWiz and concerns about hemispheres rather superflous?!

Latest posts

Back