Paph dianthum - 5 spikes

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow I'm impressed, I can only hope that my two growth unbloomed diantum can ever grow to such proportions.

I’d say!!!!

This is one of the greatest Paphiopedilum plants I've seen in about 25 years of actively growing. I’ve stolen the picture, and uploaded it onto my Flickr, just to spread the word, linking the picture to slippertalk. The last time I did this, was Olafs’ picture of Paph. randsii in Japan with about 700 flowers…

I'm in total awe, and I guess: It's a once in a life-time achievement!!!
@David: may we worship you???

Stunning! Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your achievement... I'm sure there might be equally well grown plants out there, but I don't think it gets any better.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as me. Certainly one of my favourites in my collection.

Wow, David, that's one outstanding display! Well done! Is there a chance to have it judged?

Agreed! Get that to a judging...I smell a CCM. :clap::clap::clap:

It is always hard for me to get things judged as we don't have enough judges in the region. There is a judges convention in Canberra in late March which would give me an opportunity and they like to have plants to practice on. That is still a fair way off but these flowers will almost certainly still be going by then as previous experience has shown they refuse to die.

Unfortunately the spikes aren't presenting as well as they could be. The flowers are a bit all over the place. I was away over Christmas for 2 weeks and in that period the spikes exploded in length. When I got back some of the flowers were a bit set in their ways. So I was a little late on the staking. Still it looks nice.

I’d say!!!!

This is one of the greatest Paphiopedilum plants I've seen in about 25 years of actively growing. I’ve stolen the picture, and uploaded it onto my Flickr, just to spread the word, linking the picture to slippertalk. The last time I did this, was Olafs’ picture of Paph. randsii in Japan with about 700 flowers…

I'm in total awe, and I guess: It's a once in a life-time achievement!!!
@David: may we worship you???

Thanks John. I'm glad you enjoyed it. That is high praise indeed. No problems with you linking the photo. Hopefully it is more than a once in a life-time event as I have no plans to divide it. Should only get bigger and better from here.

Don't overdo the worshipping John. It makes me feel uncomfortable. :poke:

How long is this plant actually in your collection?

Seven years I think Marc. I bought it as a 4-5 growth division with 2 growths in low bud. I remember thinking when the flowers first opened what an under-rated species this is. It seems to be in the shadow of parishii. In fact Koopowitz says in his book that it is a "poor relative" of parishii. I know which is easier to grow.

Fantastic plant and extraordinary flowering. Congratulations for your skills and your patience.

very very well done! What a succesfull growing! I'm totally impressed! Absolutely stunning!

Latest posts

Back